Arabic-speaking legal trainee (100%)
Alkarama Foundation , Geneva, Switzerland
Closing Date for Applications:
Location and start date: Geneva, Switzerland; starting 1 March 2018
Duration & stipend: 1-year contract; 1900 CHF per month
The legal trainee will work on individual cases of violations in the Arab region. This will include establishing direct contact with victims and their families, communicating such violations to the UN human rights mechanisms through individual complaints and country reports and supporting other advocacy actions to achieve these objectives.
- Manage portfolio of individual/group cases of violations and ensure relevant follow-up (keeping abreast of developments in the case, further submission of information);
- Research into and preparation of individual complaints to the UN human rights mechanisms. This includes establishing direct contact with victims and their families or lawyer;
- Contribute to the drafting of reports on country situations to UN human rights mechanisms.
Core competencies :
- Advanced university degree (Masters degree or equivalent) in law (international law, human rights law) or social sciences with a strong international law component; or a first-level law degree with a minimum of two years of related work experience;
- Strong research, analytical and writing skills;
- Knowledge of the legal, political and cultural realities of the Arab world;
- Relevant work experience in the field of human rights;
- Spoken and written fluency in English with a working knowledge of Arabic; knowledge of French is an asset;
- Highly organised, able to work quickly, effectively and independently under tight deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact with a number of different partners and contacts;
- Professionalism and ability to work in a small and multicultural team.
Alkarama is only in a position to receive applicants who are legally allowed to work in Switzerland (this usually applies to nationals of EU/EFTA or those who hold a residence permit in Switzerland).
How to apply:
- The application should be in English and should contain:
- a curriculum vitae;
- a cover letter explaining your qualifications and motivation for the position.
- The deadline is 3 February 2018. Please note that early applications are encouraged and that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. All applications will be treated in strict confidentiality.
You can apply here: https://alkarama.orangehrmlive.com/recruitmentApply/12/view