GVC is working in South East Asia since the 90s to fight poverty in rural areas, ensure the respect of human rights. Since 2013 GVC promotes safe migration of Cambodian people in and to Thailand reducing abuse, labour exploitation and trafficking cases. At the beginning of 2017 GVC expanded its presence in Thailand launching MIG-RIGHT EU co-funded project that aims to improve migration channel and practices between Cambodia and Thailand by reducing the fraudulent recruitment practice, abuse, trafficking incident and labor exploitation. In this frame, activities are addressed on one hand to empower CSOs and community Self-Help Groups to protect migrants and advocate for their rights and to the other hand to build capacity of authorities for a better enforcement of existing law, policies and practices. Moreover a sound advocacy and lobbying programme at national and ASEAN level is promoted to improve legal framework supported by a large awareness campaign on Thai employers representatives and citizens to advocate and respect human, labour and social rights for migrants.
In this context, GVC is recruiting a Country Director and Project Manager with broad experience in the management of social protection of vulnerable groups in particular to prevent irregular migration and exploitation/trafficking programmes able to develop both effective community based measures and lobbying advocacy initiatives at high level.
Main responsibilities of the selected person is to lead and supervise existing projects, develop new programmes and strengthen the intervention capacity of the organization in the Country. He / she must be willing to travel within the Country and region, develop new opportunities and relationships with key stakeholders.
The Country Director works under the direct supervision of the Desk Officer based in HQ.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
The Project Manager and Country Director will be responsible for the proper execution of the project and the coordination with national and international partners, local authorities and donors. He/She will be also responsible for the supervision and the overall coordination of the activities and human resources of the organization in Thailand, as well as the development of the intervention strategy at country level in coordination with GVC staff in Thailand and GVC in Italy.
Project management (30%):
- Implementation of general activities of the project, in accordance with the agreement and grant as well as respecting schedules and the yearly plan. Oversee all aspects of the project, including planning (activities; financial, technical and human resources) ensuring that the project results are achieved on time and within the allocated budget.
- Supervise technical direction in project implementation at all levels, ensuring coordination with GVC project coordinator of activities implemented in Cambodia and that all activities are in accordance with the adopted standards, meeting the local requirements and cost efficiency.
- Implementation of office procedures and management, safety and recruitment / supervisory staff.
- Logistics management and supervision: financial and administrative functions in supervision to the local administrator, such as requiring advance of project funds; prepare budget planning, supervise the preparation of cost estimates and core budget , procurement procedures for goods, services and works, contracts, payments, accountability; prepare financial reports.
- Establishment of a monitoring and evaluation plan and ensuring that project activities of documentation and performance reports are in accordance with the norms and standards of GVC and the donor.
- Maintaining and strengthening solid relationships with project partners (including those in Cambodia), beneficiaries and local authorities, through continuous monitoring and technical support, ensuring their empowerment to identify and articulate their needs and priorities through a participatory process. Build and deal with new partnerships and relationships with various institutional and non-state actors working in the related intervention sector.
- Promote activities aimed to search and management of project co-funding resources
- Coordination with GVC Italy, maintaining frequent contact with the Desk Officers, partners and leaders of the project as well as relevant donors, in order to keep a regular update on the implementation of the project and to develop strategic planning.
- Facilitate the visibility and communication activities related to the project intervention.
Representation and advocacy (20%, being a relevant part of project activities):
- Represent GVC in Thailand and be responsible for the management of host country relations and project/GVC interests in dealing with government, international and local organisations, networks and media in the Area Programme
- Represent GVC and project in strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events and contribute towards consolidating and raising the profile of GVC and project at national and ASEAN level.
- Develop and strengthen relationships with local organisations and networks and establish national and ASEAN strategic relations and alliances with partners and civil society working in common cause with GVC and project objectives
- Maintain good partnerships relations at National and International levels
- Promote GVC's organizational identity and capacity to all stakeholders and partners in Thailand and at ASEAN level and ensure GVC remains relevant to the changing needs of disadvantaged people in the country.
Country Programme Management (30%):
- General coordination of expatriate and local staff. Supervision of the team's performance, both local and expatriate staff, and consultants. Support the training of local staff at work (training on the job).
- Provide direct support to the project coordinator’s planning and implementation.
- Monitoring all programmes in Thailand, collect and review the implementation plans, evaluate the progress of implementation of activities and documentation, as well as propose corrective measures when needed.
- Coordinate the preparation of reports and ensure the timeliness and accuracy of information provided, as well as ensure the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Ensure that projects and partnership reports are delivered according to the contractual requirements of GVC and the donor, based on time and budgets agreements.
- Monitor budget expenditures and support financial reporting.
- Development of the overall strategy of the GVC programme, including core budget in coordination with the GVC Italy Desks.
- Development of good relations with associations of civil society, with local authorities and NGOs, agencies and donors aimed at increasing GVC partnerships in the Country.
- Development and preparation of new project proposals and search for new financing opportunities.
Office Management, HR Management and Development (10%)
- Management of the main and field offices, ensuring a strong team spirit, positive and participative work environment; effective communication and strong programme support; support staff supervision, guidance, coordination and monitoring; ensuring clarity on the plans and priorities of the project and effective teamwork.
- Ensure the selection and presence of appropriate staff; plan and implement specific actions to recruit, manage and motivate staff.
- Ensure teams have clearly defined goals, understand their responsibilities and receive significant feedback on their performance.
- Comply with the relevant standard procedures and policies of GVC with respect to work and HR Management.
- Assume overall responsibility for office management, ensuring the effective implementation of policies, procedures and administrative systems of GVC and the application of the organization’s standards.
- Comply with all relevant GVC policies and procedures relating to health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
Knowledge management and innovation (10%):
- Contribute to the development and introduction of innovation to ensure GVC is continually incorporating best practices approaches in the delivery of regional portfolio.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building.
- Contribute to the planning, implementation and organization of strategic capacity building of personnel, partners and stakeholders.
- Establish priorities, in consultation with the Desk Officer, for targeted investments in growth and innovation, contribute to identification and implementation of innovation and continuous improvement in support of organizational excellence.
- The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties due to his level of skills and experience.
- At least 5 years of previous experience working with NGOs or international organizations, with increasing responsibility in writing project proposal and project management and country coordination.
- At least 3 years of previous experience in working in the field of migration, fighting to trafficking and woman/children exploitation including policy, advocacy&communication activities.
- At least 1 one year or previous experience of work in Thailand and/or Southern East Asia countries.
Education & Skills:
- Master's degree in relevant field, as Social Science, Development Studies, Community Based Development and equivalent.
- Good knowledge of policy and practices of Migration and social protection of women and children in particular with reference to fight trafficking and exploitation.
- Ability to assess needs and write new project proposals.
- Good organizational skills, time-management and ability to manage responsibilities.
- Strong networking capabilities in dealing with stakeholders and, in particular, local authorities, institutions and donors at high levels to promote development and implementation and implementation of social inclusion policies.
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers / leaders.
- Proven experience in coordinating team and projects in a multicultural context, interpersonal and negotiation skills, flexibility in cultural and organizational terms.
- Capacity to autonomously work and in problems prevention/resolution
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English (mandatory), spoken and written Italian (mandatory).
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
Will constitute a plus:
Basic knowledge of Thai language and culture.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org reference Thai1 ”Country Director and Project Coordinator – Thailand”, only preselected candidates will be contacted; the applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position may be awarded before the deadline.
Source : http://www.gvc-italia.org/