Under the framework of the European Union/Council of Europe joint programme “Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Turkey 2019-2022”, and its action on “Promotion of diversity and equality in Albania”, the Council of Europe is launching a call for proposals with the aim to improve the functioning of anti-discrimination mechanisms and their accessibility to vulnerable groups in line with European standards, especially with recommendations from COE monitoring bodies, notably those from the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI), Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities (FCNM) and/or European Charter for Regional or Minority languages (ECRML).
The grants will fund activities aimed at supporting the concrete implementation and/or follow-up at local level of the recommendations) of the Council of Europe monitoring bodies in the field of anti-discrimination and protection of the rights of minorities and in particular the Advisory Committee of Framework Convention for the protection of National Minorities (FCNM); the Committee of Experts of the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages (ECRML) and the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI).
Projects designed could address the following issues:
- Promotion and protection of national minorities’ rights in the local communities in Albania related to language, culture, education, media, administrative authorities, etc.
- Promotion and protection of the right of LGBTI persons in the local communities in Albania related to access to health and education, and in the area of media and administration, protection against hate speech and hate crime, etc.
- Combating hate speech and rumours in local communities in Albania and creating counter narratives.
- The indicative available budget under this call for proposals is 72,000 Euros (seventy-two thousand Euros). The European Union /the Council of Europe intends to award grants of a maximum amount of 10,000 Euros (ten thousand Euros) each.
- The implementation period of the projects should start on 18 October 2020 and shall not extend beyond 17 October 2021 (twelve months).Reporting requirements shall be completed on 16 November 2021 at the latest.
Projects should target in particular the following key stakeholders: –
- Local self-governments
- Civil society organisations
- National minorities and/or LGBTI people
- General population
In order to be eligible for a grant, an applicant must:
- be legally constituted as a non-governmental organization in Albania or is a local self-government;
- be entitled to carry out in Albania activities described in its project proposal;
- have been active for at least three years in the field of human rights/anti-discrimination;
- have sufficient financial capacity (stable and sufficient sources of funding) to maintain its activity throughout the period for which the grant is awarded and to participate by way of its own resources (including human resources or in-kind contributions);
- have sufficient operational and professional capacity, including staff, to carry out activities described in its project proposal;
- Have a bank account.
Documents to be submitted. Each application shall contain:
- The completed and signed Application Form
- A provisional budget
- The other supporting documents: work plan, organogram of the unit for implementing the proposed project and the CV of project manager(s).