The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship Programme (LExS) is open to outstanding non-EEA/non-EFTA students enrolling in a full-time master’s degree programme at Leiden University.
Leiden University in The Netherlands.
Level/Field of study:
All full-time Masters programmes at Leiden University with the exception of LLM (non-advanced) and MSc programmes at Leiden Law School.
Number of Awards:
The number and type of award of the scholarship depends on the budget available for each Faculty department.
Non-EEA/non-EFTA* nationals (see details below)
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship programme has 3 awards:
- € 10.000 of the tuition fee
- € 15.000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
The LExS is not a full scholarship. Non-EEA LExS recipients must still submit ‘proof of sufficient funds’ for their student visa/residence permit application.
- Students must have achieved excellent study results in their previous education, this being relevant to the Master’s programme for which they are applying. As an indication, the student is amongst the top 10% of graduates in his/her previous study programme. Note: proof of ranking is not required – this information is purely to indicate the level of competitiveness.
- Applicants must have a non non-EEA/non-EFTA* passport and may not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (Studiefinanciering) – with the exception of students applying for the LLM Advanced Studies programmes or the MSc in International Relations and Diplomacy, for which no nationality restrictions apply.
- *All EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland)
- You must first apply online for admissions to a Master’s programme at Leiden University. In your application, you must indicate clearly that you would like to apply for the LExS scholarship on the scholarship section and upload your letter of motivation for the LExS scholarship. The deadline for programmes starting in September is 1 February (exception – Advanced LLMs: 1 March) while programmes starting in February has a deadline of 1 October.
- It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the online application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.