The Matrix Causes Fund is offering grants to support organizations that promote access to justice (particularly for people trying to get support to meet their basic personal needs), or promote equality of opportunity, or promote a sustainable environment.
Applications are particularly welcome from organizations whose focus is on supporting the needs of vulnerable persons such as prisoners, asylum seekers, people with mental health difficulties, people (particularly children) with disabilities, or women in refuges.
The Matrix Causes Fund is a charitable fund administered by Matrix. Since 2003 they have committed over £1million to national and international charitable causes. Matrix Causes Fund is a restricted fund under the auspices of Prism the Gift Fund, UK charity no. 1099682. Members and staff alike make monthly contributions to the Fund and a sub-committee considers applications for support.
- Other than in exceptional circumstances, the Fund will only provide an organization with one-off funds of up to £5,000, or funds of up to £3,000 a year for 3 years.
- The MCF will only provide funds for identifiable items or activities (potentially including the staff costs of the activity). Where the amount to be provided by the MCF is not the whole cost of the item or activity, the MCF money will only be released when the rest of the cost has been secured by the organization. The MCF will not provide funds for an organization’s general or core expenditure.
- The MCF will fund the costs associated with things like publications, staff/volunteer training, publicity, events, and equipment which can benefit many people and be longlasting. Only in exceptional circumstances, will the MCF provide funds to cover costs (such as salary costs) for an organization’s direct service delivery to individual clients or members of the public. The MCF does not provide funds to support or replace statutory or other services generally provided by public bodies such as schools.
- Organizations that receive funds from the MCF will be expected to report back on the outcome of the use of the funds and to acknowledge in their publicity material that they received money from the MCF. They will allow Matrix to refer in its publicity material to the funding in question.
- Funding for charitable organizations not registered as a charity in the UK.
- The Matrix Causes Fund may be able to consider applications from organizations that are not registered as a charity in the UK. The organization must be established for “charitable purposes” and be recognized by HMRC as an exempt charity.