About the Organization:
The International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie) is an international NGO that promotes evidence-informed equitable, inclusive and sustainable development. We support the generation and effective use of high-quality evidence to inform decision-making and improve the lives of people living in poverty in low- and middle-income countries (L&MICs). We provide guidance and support to produce impact evaluations and associated formative evaluations; systematic reviews and syntheses, evidence gap maps and support for using that evidence in decision-making and capacity development. 3ie is registered as a non-governmental organisation in the United States
The Collective Impact (CI) initiative is an H&M Foundation supported three-year initiative in Bengaluru, India, that aims to improve the lives of waste pickers in the city. The CI initiative seeks to address this issue holistically through its novel multisectoral approach that targets waste pickers’ systemic exclusion and restores their right to a life with dignity.
3ie is conducting an impact evaluation to understand if and how the CI approach worked to improve the lives of waste pickers and their families. This impact evaluation will require multiple rounds of data collection, primarily an extensive survey of households spread across slums in Bengaluru. 3ie seeks to hire a data collection firm to conduct a baseline survey among the waste picker population of Bengaluru.
Scope of work:
- The data collection firm will be required to undertake activities towards collection of high-quality data, following international best practices and protocols. An indicative list of tasks is presented below. The final scope of work will be determined during contract finalisation.
- Conduct a household listing exercise for drawing the baseline survey sample.
- Hire enumerators and conduct enumerator training prior to data collection. Refresher training may be undertaken during data collection to ensure data quality.
- Revise and adapt data collection modules, while working in collaboration with 3ie, based on findings from the pilot test.
- Develop protocols for ethical data collection procedures and safeguards.
- Obtain IRB approval in collaboration with 3ie.
- Develop a field plan to interview households in the study sample as per timelines specified by 3ie. This would entail organizing transportation for all enumerators.
Following is a tentative list of modules to be included in the household survey:
- Household demographics (e.g. age, sex, education, occupation [formal and informal], disability of individual household members; religion, ethnicity, and caste of households);
- Household income, asset, and type of housing;
- Financial literacy and financial inclusion;
- Social security;
- Life and entrepreneurial skills;
To be eligible for selection, all applicants need to meet the minimum requirements outlined below:
- Only legally registered organisations and/or consortia of registered organisations, no individuals, may apply.
- For-profit organisations are eligible to apply, but the indirect cost recovery is limited to 10 per cent of direct costs.
- The data collection firm should be based in India, with experience of working in south India and in urban areas.
- Relevant and extensive experience in conducting large-scale household surveys and in administering modules indicated in the scope of work.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in conducting computer-assisted personal interviewing (CAPI) preferably with SurveyCTO, including managing all aspects of programming, data entry, ethical data storage and management, and data quality assurance.
- The partner must have sufficient expert staff, including skilled male and female enumerators and supervisors, on board with full-time availability to work from the time of signing the contract with 3ie
- Please submit complete proposals by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The last date for submission of proposals is 22 March 2021. Only complete submissions meeting the eligibility requirements will be considered. 3ie will only contact shortlisted firms.