The Taupo District Council is seeking applications for the Waste Minimization Fund to provide individuals, community groups and organizations with the opportunity to fund initiatives that:
- Reduce the generation of waste;
- Encourage the reuse and recovery of materials;
- Divert waste from landfill through reuse, repair, recycling, and composting;
- Raise awareness of issues around food waste, single-use plastics, and other wastes.
Grants are available for up to $5,000 from an annual contestable fund of $10,000. The funding comes from the national waste levy, which is set by the Ministry for the Environment (MFE).
- To apply you must be an individual, school, business, iwi/Maori group, community group, early childhood center, or other community-based organization within the Taupo District.
- Projects must be based within the Taupo District and mainly benefit the Taupo community.
- Projects must contribute to waste minimisation, waste avoidance, the reduction of waste to landfill, and/or the recovery of materials or energy.
- Applicants must demonstrate sound financial responsibility, clear objectives and planning, ways of measuring performance and the success of the project, and reporting this progress.
- The funding granted must be used within one year to see the project to completion or until the project becomes self-funding.
- Eligibility for funding will be discretionary to the Taupo District Council and decisions will be final.
- If you have been allocated funding, you must read and sign the Terms and Conditions