The Waterloo Foundation (TWF) has launched the Marine Programme for initiatives working to halt the decline of fish stocks that communities in developing countries rely on, and those working to bring about sustainable fisheries in Wales.
TWF will consider both practical local projects, and strategic initiatives. The protection of mangroves to benefit local fisheries is also a component of the Marine Programme.
Types of Projects
Applications for local projects should demonstrate that they will positively impact upon the marine fisheries they are working to protect, and could include:
- Development of marine protected areas or sustainable fisheries management
- Addressing local causes of over-exploitation of fish stocks and other seafood
- Creation of sustainable livelihoods for coastal and seafood dependent people
They will consider applications for strategic projects that are working on addressing marine issues at a wider or international scale. These could include:
- Working on international or regional marine policy
- Campaigning for improved practices in commerce
- Exploring different fishing practices and techniques
- Improving information exchange to eradicate illegal unreported and unregulated fishing
- The majority of the grants in this programme will be for a total of £50,000 – £100,000.
- TWF prioritise providing funding support to UK-based charities, many of whom work in close partnership with smaller local NGOs based in the countries in which they operate.
- If you are an organisation based outside of the UK you must send them contact details for a named person who is willing to provide them with a reference for your work. This must be someone who:
- Works for an international NGO with offices in the UK
- Works for an organisation that the Foundation has previously given a grant to
- Works for an organisation with offices in the UK, which has been a current or former donor to your organisation
- Works for an academic institution, think tank or as an independent consultant who is based in the UK, and which has evaluated your organisation.