The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) supports people affected by displacement living in Lebanon and advocate for their rights inside the country, regionally and internationally. We also work to serve vulnerable Lebanese affected by the deteriorating economic situation in the country, and are providing assistance to vulnerable households in the neighbourhoods most affected by the Beirut port explosion.
In 2019, NRC’s programmes in Lebanon reached 330,314 refugees and Lebanese with Legal assistance and counselling, Shelter, WASH and Education. NRC Lebanon’s Covid-19 response includes crosscutting activities and sector-specific Covid-19 work. NRC also implements activities together with national and international NGOs to extend its access to people in need. In Lebanon, NRC has nearly 450 staff and has its Country Office in Beirut and operations in Beirut/ Mount Lebanon, North, Bekaa, and South.
NRC Lebanon’s CFRM has three main objectives. The first and most important objective is to enable stakeholders, including individuals benefitting from NRC's assistance, to provide complaints and feedback to NRC and to receive a response. The second is to improve accountability towards beneficiaries and stakeholders. The third is to contribute to improve programme design and organisational performance.
Duties and responsibilities
The Accountability Officer will manage the day-to-day smooth running of the helpline function to ensure that beneficiaries and other stakeholders have accessible and safe channels to request for NRC services and address complaints & feedbacks for continued improvement of NRC programmes.
The Accountability Officer is responsible for 1) overseeing and ensuring consistent and systematic, recording, processing and response of request for services, complaints and feedback received from the communities in which we work; 2) Aiding in conducting accountability training and awareness sessions to NRC staff, individuals benefitting from NRC's assistance and other stakeholders.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, guidelines and standards.
- Oversee day-to-day smooth running of the centralized helpline function for the CC and Emergency response programmes for request for services and complaints/feedback.
- Support efficient and transparent dissemination of relevant information to refugees, vulnerable Lebanese and relevant stakeholders.
- Prepare and develop status reports.
- Provide specific technical support and capacity building on the helpline and complaint & feedback mechanism.
- Ensure that NRC’s related activities are implemented within NRC’s Protection mainstreaming guidelines and report any breaches/concerns to the line manager and/or focal point for proper action.
- Ensure that request for services, complaints and feedback through the different reporting channels are responded to with an appropriate call back or text and followed
- up on with timely and confidential response and closure.
- Maintain and update a secure and confidential complaint and feedback database and records that considers safety of the complainant for sensitive complaints
- Provide a supportive, calm and professional interaction with stakeholders reaching out to the NRC helpline, and assist with information about NRC services or follow up.
- Support the Accountability Coordinator in providing training on accountability and the complaint/feedback mechanism to NRC staff.
- Raise awareness on NRCs reporting channels among beneficiaries and target communities, as well as key external stakeholders.
- Support the development of gender- and age-sensitive helpline and complaints & feedback awareness materials.
- Consult beneficiaries and target communities for feedback on the helpline and reporting channels.
- Conduct regular field visits to NRC project locations to monitor the implementation and visibility of reporting channels and spot checks.
- Provide regular reports on complaints, feedbacks, trends and requests for services to the Accountability Coordinator according to NRC reporting standards.
- Bachelor degree in social sciences, humanities, or any other relevant field
- At least 2 years of experience in an international NGO preferably in an emergency or post-conflict setting in Humanitarian Response, beneficiary reception and/or
- counselling, accountability, or related field.
- Experience in handling sensitive/confidential information of complaints and feedback
- Experience and ability to train others and transfer knowledge
- Experience in data analysis and report writing and ability to present data and convey information clearly and concisely and identifying trends
- Fluency in both English and Arabic (speaking, reading, writing)
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications (Word, Excel…)