Accounts and Admin Assistant
United Nations Development Programme, Bombay, India
Closing Date for Applications:
This initiative is designed to formalize a decentralized, integrated processing of all plastic waste on daily basis, onward value addition at the Swachhta Kendras (SKs) – material recovery centers managed through the waste pickers associations, NGOs, companies and mainstreamed with the respective Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) linked to authorized recyclers. This will enable to minimize negative impacts and risks to environment and to human health in India, by enhancing sustainable Plastic Waste Management practices, through a socio-technical model (segregation/collection/recycling) while ensuring compliance with regulations, to improve use of resources and in line with Swachh Bharat Mission in India; in this project the waste pickers (Safaii Mitras) will be formalized with respective governance mechanisms and attain improved social conditions. Project’s targets at the end of period in two wards are, to better manage an amount more than 2500 MT of plastic waste per year and to improve socio-economic conditions of 800 Safaii Mitras in 4 years. To achieve the project objective and outcomes, the project is structured into 4 components:
- Component 1: Proposes to develop, support and implement an economically sustainable model (ESM) for packaging plastic waste management. It focuses on developing base line assessment on use and availability of all plastics with the different and diverse users, present scenario; implement an economically sustainable approach (ESP).
- Component 2: Create a focus on design and implementation of Materials Recovery Facility Centers as (Swacchta Kendras) for better quality plastic waste management through socio-technical approach.
- Component 3: Engaged mainly to design, sustain and provide basics to formalize Swacchta Kendra across governance bodies and to gain improved socio-economic conditions for waste pickers; with a main emphasis on technology for Traceability, Accountability & Digital Governance.
- Component 4: To establish a more hands on knowledge management, monitoring and communication mechanisms, which will be based in an in-built adoptive feedback system from project results at various stages along the entire duration. Adequate governance mechanisms will be established to assure the right development of project and targets fulfillment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain financial records and monitor systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data for day-to day transactions and reports;
- Operate ERP based Financial Accounting System for preparation of vouchers for the project (including the processing of vendor creation and settling of travel claims), maintenance of the internal expenditure control system, creation of requisitions in the system, making budget checks in the system
- Ensure strategic resource management, including planning and tracking of available resources and monitoring of expenditure as per approved project work plan and budget;
- Maintain the project’s expenditure Cash book, Bank book, ledgers and journals;
- Organize and coordinate the procurement of services and goods under the project;
- Collate and process financial reports into project wise quarterly financial reports against project advances;
- Support UNDP’s Finance Unit in conduct of financial audits of the project conducted during the period.
- Perform financial duties as requested by the Operations Manager, PWM;
- Provide logistical and administrative support to the Project staff and project consultants in conducting different project activities (trainings, workshops, stakeholder consultations, arrangements of tour, etc.)
- Maintain a roster of files on project activities, project reports, project assets, etc.;
- Control the usage of non-expendable equipment (record keeping, drawing up regular inventories);
- Prepare and maintain inventory of asset procured under the project in close consultation with the national and state team
- Facilitate conduct of physical verification of the asset.
- Maintain project specific documentation and minutes of the important meetings
- Keep regular contact with project experts and consultants to inform them about the project details and changes;
- Act on telephone inquiries, fax, post and e-mail transmissions, and co-ordinate appointments;
- Manage support costs and office expenditure;
- Perform any other tasks assigned from time to time by the Senior Program Coordinator, PWM, UNDP, New Delhi.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing are the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Maintain effective relationships with project stakeholders;
- Work goal-oriented based on minimum supervision;
- Organize and priorities work to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Prepare timely inputs;
- Report to internal and external clients in a timely and accurate manner
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients; and
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Required Skills and Experience
- Essential: Bachelors degree in Commerce and relevant field related to the terms of reference
- Desirable: Master’s degree or equivalent in Finance or relevant field related to the terms of reference
- 5 years professional experience in finance and/or administration;
- Previous work experience with UNDP or any other UN agency is highly desirable
- Additional experience in maintaining accounts, handling audits, HR management and the procurement of goods & services is desirable.
- Skills • Ability to work and coordinate with large and complex teams.
- Excellent communications, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- High-level of IT/computing skills (minimum: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- Excellent in ERP based financial management.
- Good drafting and writing skills in English.
- Ability to work independently and under minimum supervision
Language Requirements: Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Hindi is essential, Marathi is desirable.