The situation in Nigeria remains fragile with continued political instability, climatic variability, and lack of basic social services. OCHA's role is to coordinate effective and principled inter-agency humanitarian response and ensure that relief assistance reaches the people who need it in a timely manner. In line with OCHA's global mission, OCHA Nigeria continues to:
- Advocate for access to basic services, especially water, sanitation, education and health for vulnerable communities, including the collection, analysis and dissemination of information to humanitarian partners, and negotiation of access.
- Support the government efforts and humanitarian organizations in relocation of internally displaced and return.
- Coordinate the implementation of humanitarian response in Nigeria with UN agencies and programmes, national and international NGOs and local authorities/communities as appropriate, with focus on strengthening the cluster approach.
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member
- Informed and transport decision making
Under the guidance and supervision of the HAO, the Administrative Assistant provides support to the field office ensuring high quality of work, ensures accurate, timely and properly recorded/documented service delivery. The Administrative Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Administrative Assistant works in close collaboration with the Admin & Finance staff in Abuja & Maiduguri to ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Coordinate logistic activities for the field office.
- Provision of clerical / administrative support
- Office support and maintenance
- Cash Recovery and Management of the Armored Vehicles
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Coordinate logistics activities for the field office
- Ensure that vehicles are in working condition at all times: Regular servicing and maintenance etc.
- Coordinate and monitor vehicle movement
- Oversee TOTAL card retirement and replenishment (in collaboration with OCHA Abuja & Maiduguri Office) by ensuring that all processes are carried out in a timely fashion.
- Assist staff members by liaising with OCHA Admin staff in Abuja & Maiduguri for UNHAS bookings etc and ensure that tickets are received on time.
- Ensure that all missions to all locations with high – security level are cleared by the necessary authorities.
- Monitor the vehicle log books and ensure that all movement is duly captured and signed for by all passengers.
- Assist staff with forwarding their travel expense claims to OCHA Abuja office and follow up where necessary.
Provision of clerical / administrative support
- Assist with hotel reservations for staff on mission, new colleagues deployed to Maiduguri etc.
- Support colleagues in coordinating meetings and other official events.
- Assist with filing and photocopying documents when necessary.
- And all other clerical / administrative duties that may be required.
Office Support and Maintenance
- General office maintenance: supervise cleaners to ensure that OCHA’s is always in order, etc.
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance.
Cash Recovery and Management for the Armored Vehicles
- Prepares and dispatches invoices to clients upon request for the use of the AVs.
- Ensures that payment for each transaction is received and accounted for and a receipt is issued accordingly.
- Create a tracking system for payment.
- Give monthly accounts of usage and income.
Required Skills and Experience
- 4 years of relevant administrative experience.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.