UNICEF, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Closing Date for Applications:
- The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
- To contribute with the operations objectives proposed in the Cooperation Programme 2018-2022 as well as the additional workload generated by the pandemic for COVID-19, UNICEF Dominican Republic requires contracting additional support that can assume the administrative tasks of the section allowing for the other human resources in the section to focus on technical support for the implementation of the CPD needs.
How can you make a difference?
We are looking for an organized, agile and customer service oriented individual to support the UNICEF Dominican Republic office in the following areas:
Procurement / Supplies / Equipment
Communications & Workflow
Budget Monitoring for the Section/Area
- Monitors budgets and financial expenditures of section, ensuring compliance with UNICEF rules and regulations, keeping supervisor informed and advised on actions for decision/follow up.
- Provides support on budget revision/preparation, implementation status, determination position of funding utilization, operational, and financial closure.
- Prepares and maintains records, documents and control plans for the budget monitoring of project/programme implementation.
- Carries out transactions in VISION pertaining to grants for his/her section such as registering grant allotment, creating funds commitments and tracking expiring programme grants.
Procurement / Supplies / Equipment
- Guides managers in the process procurement in line with the policies and guidance’s.
- Facilitates the processing of contracts/sales orders for consultants and external partners that provide a service to the section. This includes preparing and filing documents, completing necessary forms and templates, , and making necessary logistical arrangements.
- Maintains up-to-date vendor lists, partners, and consultant rosters.
- Supports management of administrative supplies, office equipment, and updating inventory of items.
- Monitors and supervises adequate and appropriate use of supplies. Ensures that services and maintenance of premises are in accordance with organizational standards.
- Arranges for the purchase and timely distribution of the section’s supplies.
- Responsible for collecting invoices and filing documents for approval and, thereafter processing in VISION the needed requests.
- Uploads electronic files and verifies results to destination system.
- Responds to client transaction status and other inquiries.
- Provides travel assistance to staff members in section for travel arrangements and entitlements based on the organization’s rules and policies. Liaises with relevant travel focal points to ensure that the organization obtains the best service and price for all travel.
- Briefs/de-briefs staff members on issues relating to related administrative matters such as visas, security clearance, and documentation procedures.
- Extracts, inputs, maintains, and verifies correctness of travel records in the organization’s travel system to ensure accurate transactions related to travel costs and staff travel.
- Assists in the preparation of budgets on travel costs and maintain travel plan and budgetary control records.
- Monitors travel certification and report back to the team.
Communications & Workflow
- Facilitates the communications and workflow of the organizational unit to enhance the efficiency and timeliness of operations and outputs.
- Manages incoming and outgoing correspondence, e-mails and telephone calls.
- Communicates routine and some non-routine information pertaining to the work of the team.
- Establishes and maintains the office filing and reference systems, both traditional and digital; and ensures the inter/intra-net websites are up to date and accurate.
- Maintains office calendar and arranges meetings.
- Takes minutes of meetings, ensuring accuracy, attention to detail and coherence.
- Supports capacity development activities and conferences by making the logistical arrangements, through engaging with facilitators, caterers and hosts.
- Arranges times through liaising with participants over availability.
- Liaises with budget focal points and section over costs and needs.
- Prepares background materials for participants and uploads cleared materials on the intranet.
- Prepares and maintains agendas on meetings and events related to the work group commitments.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Education: Completion of secondary education is required, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the field of work. Complementary courses related to communications, media, social media, public relations, marketing, events are highly valued.
- Experience: A minimum of 5 years of relevant administrative or clerical work experience is required. Additional years of experience working for communication related work units or cross-functional teams is an asset. Experience working for international organizations, government organizations or UN Agencies in an asset.
- Training and experience using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other UNICEF software such as SharePoint; knowledge of integrated management information systems required.
- Thorough knowledge of UNICEF administrative policies and procedures.
- Organizational, planning and prioritizing skills and abilities.
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with visitors.
- High sense of confidentiality, initiative and good judgment.
- Ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural background.
- Language: Fluency in English is required.