United Nations Secretariat, New York, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
The Department of Management Strategy, Policy, and Compliance (DMSPC) provides policy leadership in all management areas through a clear, integrated global management strategy and policy framework and through strengthened monitoring, evaluation and accountability mechanisms that oversees the exercise of delegated authorities in an environment of decentralized management.
The position is located in the Business Partner Service (BPS), Office of the Under Secretary-General (OUSG), Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance (DMSPC). The Administrative Assistant reports to an Administrative Officer.
- Within delegated authority, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Human Resources (HR) Management
- Initiates, reviews, processes and follows-up on actions related to the administration of human resource activities, e.g., recruitment of staff and consultants, placement, promotion, relocation, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Responds to enquiries and provides information and advice to staff regarding their entitlements, administrative procedures, processes and practices, conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
- Creates requests in Inspira using the Offer Management module for initial appointment, reappointment, transfer, secondment, temporary assignment and other staff moves and takes actions on staff onboarding including reference verification.
- Monitors staffing table and prepares relevant statistical data/charts.
- Reviews monthly payroll auto-lock reports.
- Monitors and reviews sick leave cases; maintains and certifies administrative data and records for time and attendance.
- Initiates, processes and follows up on actions related to HR and entitlement travels such as travel on transfer, home leave and separation, including shipment of personal effects.
- Maintains personnel working files of staff members and other files in Unite Docs and SharePoint.
- Generates, prepares and maintains various HR and position management reports using Umoja, Inspira and other relevant databases and platforms.
- Performs other HR Partner functions.
Budget and Finance
- Assists in the preparation and review of financial and human resource proposals/requirements.
- Assists the Administrative Officers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Co-ordinates with finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
- Drafts routine correspondence to respond to enquiries, including complex and time sensitive ones, in respect to relevant administrative, financial audit, personnel matters.
- Coordinates extensively with service units and liaises frequently with offices both at Headquarters and in the field including Accounts Division, Office of Human Resources, Department of Operational Support (DOS) and other Executive Offices.
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel programme; monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for
- services; physical space planning; identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems; organizing and coordinating seminars, conferences and translations).
- Assists Administrative Officers in preparing special reports, including conducting research, analysing and presenting/visualizing of information/data as well as updating communication content and tools.
- Assists Administrative Officers in managing the Internship Programme.May be responsible for guiding, training, and supervising the work of more junior General Service staff.
- Performs other general administrative functions as may be required.
- Assists with the recruitment and administration of consultants and individual contractors.
- Processes the payment of contractors' invoices and monitor payments if needed.
- Prepares and processes all UN forms and permissions for contractual and work Unit, Section or Service UN staff, including: UN grounds passes, visa requests, property passes, UN parking permits, swipe-card access and door keys.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- At least seven years of experience in administrative services, human resources, finance, accounting, or related area is required.
- Experience using the HR administration modules in an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system, such as Umoja SAP or similar ERP tool, to process HR transactions is required.
- Experience in processing human resources entitlements in the United Nations or another international organization is desirable.
- Experience with recruitment in e-staffing tools, such as Inspira, is desirable.
- Experience in extracting and managing large amount of data and producing HR or related reports is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.