Food and Agriculture Organization, Cairo, Egypt
Closing Date for Applications:
The Consultant/PSA will work under the overall technical supervision of the regional plant protection officer in the Regional Office for Near East and North Africa and will work under the technical guidance of the Director of FAO's Plant Production and Protection Division (NSP) in Headquarters.
Support and contribute to the development and implementation of (i) projects and programmes, (ii) strategies and policies and (iii) provision of technical assistance all plant protection and production activities.
Tasks and responsibilities
The consultant/PSA will assist in the delivery of FAO’s work with the aim of increasing sustainability and resilience of cropping systems at regional, national and local levels. The key functions of the consultant / PSA may include all or parts of the following:
- Collaborate in promoting applied research as per country needs in technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional, technological, and data and statistical fields, to support the delivery of programme of work, projects, products and services.
- Support the implementation of plant pest and disease management programmes and sustainable pesticide management approaches in the Near East and North Africa (NENA) region;
- Provide scientific, technical and operational support to the regional Plant Protection and Production Officer in RNE in the management and implementation of regional and national projects in NENA countries.
- Provide technical support/analysis to various assessments, studies and initiatives, and provide technical backstopping to field projects.
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams, Lead and/or participate in internal committees, project teams and working groups, and provide specialized expertise to technical networks and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies; Support monitoring and reporting of results by developing technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases, etc.
- Plan, organize, conduct and monitor programmed activities, projects, products and/or services;
- Conduct research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies;
- Promote international cooperation, advocate best practices, increase policy dialogue and provide technical expertise at international and intergovernmental meetings;
- Organize and participate in national training workshops for plant production and phytosanitary staff;
- Integrate sound agronomic practices with sustainable production and protection options where appropriate;
- develop and strengthen the networks relevant to sustainable production and protection systems;
- Provide technical assistance for capacity building and lead training programmes and workshops on export certification system management and phytosanitary/plant protection and production topics;
- Contribute to the preparation of technical publications, progress reports and terminal reports of projects;
- Promote knowledge sharing and develop knowledge products and advocacy material;
- Formulate project documents as per FAO project cycle guidelines and procedures;
- Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in agriculture, plant sciences, agronomy with specialization in crop protection, integrated pest management or related field;
- Five years of relevant experience in plant protection and pest or pesticide management;
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian for Consultants. Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish for PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Extent and relevance of field experience in pest and pesticide management;
- Extent and relevance of experience in project/programme formulation and implementation of projects, programmes and studies on plant protection including integrated pest management;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the Near East region is considered a strong asset;
- Extent and relevance of knowledge and understanding of the work of international organizations and national governments;