Assistant Program Officer
National Endowment for Democracy, Washington DC, United States
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grantmaking organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks an Assistant Program Officer, Turkey. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
- The Assistant Program Officer (APO) will assist with the management, administration, development and expansion of grant programs in Turkey. In addition, the APO will support existing grantees and develop prospective grantees.
- Assist in the evaluation of project proposals.
- Draft summaries of proposals to present at quarterly board meetings.
- Communicate regularly with existing grantees, mostly in Turkish and English.
- Assist in monitoring the work of existing grantees, including review and analysis of any publications or other products.
- Track political developments in Turkey and Afghanistan.
- Help organize events to highlight specific democracy-related issues in coordination with the other MENA program members.
- Travel to the region as needed, and occasionally under difficult conditions, to identify and work with potential new grantees and existing grantees.
- Bachelor's degree in international affairs, politics, or a related discipline required; Master’s level education or equivalent knowledge is desired.
- 2+ years of experience in democracy-related work is required.
- Proficiency in other relevant languages of the region is preferred, but not required.
- Proficiency with MS Office is required.
- Fluent Turkish (reading, writing, and speaking) is required.
- Field experience with NGOs in one or more MENA countries is preferred.
- Knowledge of political issues and trends in the MENA region.
- Regional knowledge of Turkey and one or more countries in the region is essential.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Ability to travel to Turkey and other countries as needed.