The Assistant Registration Officer assists in the management and oversight of UNHCR's registration procedures as well as related activities in the operation. The Assistant Registration Officer is normally supervised by the Registration Officer. The Assistant Registration Officer assists with the implementation of an operation-specific registration strategy, to ensure that registration is effectively used for the identification of specific protection needs, for the management of operations, and for the achievement of durable solutions.
The Assistant Registration Officer provides day-to-day support to UNHCR staff engaged in registration and related activities (including Reception, Filing and Data Management staff), and monitors the efficiency and quality of registration processes, identity and entitlement documentation activities and population data management.
The Assistant Registration Officer collaborates closely with Protection, Programme, Operational Data Management and Information Management colleagues as well as with Government authorities and partners on the provision of quality population data for the delivery of targeted protection or assistance interventions and programming and planning.
- UNHCR's Registration Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are implemented in accordance with relevant UNHCR standards and policies.
- Persons of concern have fair and transparent access to registration procedures.
- UNHCR's population database (proGres) is maintained and remains a reliable, trusted source of personal information and protection needs of persons of concern to UNHCR.
- Assist in the implementation of appropriate registration strategies and methodologies for populations of concern in compliance with the protection strategy of the operation and ensuring that registration standards are met.
- Assist in the drafting and implementation of operation-specific SOPs for all aspects of registration in accordance with applicable standards and policies, including provisions for the protection of individual data and prevention and identification of fraud.
- Assist in the implementation of appropriate procedures and systems for the assurance of quality registration data through continuous registration and verification exercises, including in the securing and distribution of identity and entitlement documents.
- Assist in conducting regular data quality checks to monitor the accuracy of data collected.
- Assist in the development of mass information campaigns to ensure that persons of concern have accurate information on registration procedures.
- Liaise with Government authorities and partners as necessary for delivery of assistance and other registration-related activities.
- In coordination with the operational data management staff, assist in the timely consolidation and drafting of statistics and registration data reports on persons of concern.
- Contribute to training and internal capacity building of UNHCR staff in registration, including on-the-job coaching and guidance.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Enforce compliance by UNHCR staff engaged in registration and related activities with UNHCR standards and policies and operation specific SOPs for all aspects of the registration operation.
- In consultation with the supervisor, make decisions relating to the day-to-day operations of the registration unit and ensure registration procedures are efficient and effective.
- Draft and submit reports and statistics related to registration.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Information Technology or Social Sciences, International Relations, Law or other related field plus minimum 1 year of previous work experience relevant to the function. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master¿s) or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) may also be accepted.
- Excellent computer skills particularly in data management.
- Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Officer positions, very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Prior experience in registration or individual case management, including use of UNHCR proGres software, in refugee and internal displacement situations.
- Strong understanding of the principles of and concepts of international protection and UNHCR.
- Training in registration, operational data management or information management desirable.
- Knowledge of additional UN languages.