Assistant Scientist - Agricultural Economics
International Rice Research Institute(IRRI), Laguna, Philippines
Closing Date for Applications:
- Under the minimal supervision of the Scientist/Team leader, assist in the design of experiment(s), survey(s) and other research studies and the maintenance of an integrated data set of CORIGAP specific project goals and research objectives. Manage the implementation of defined research activities.
- Evaluate and validate experimental data and contribute to manuscript for reports/publications as well as presentations/posters for national and international conferences.
- Supervise, coach and guide scholars, OJTs, researchers and research technicians.
- Coordinate and prepare training sessions particularly for national partners.
- Oversee data collected from field surveys in 4 countries and be responsible for its collation and preliminary analyses. Be able to travel internationally and conduct field work under a range of socio-cultural conditions.
- This position is based at IRRI Headquarters, Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines and can only be filled by citizens and permanent residents of the Philippines.
Roles and Responsibilities
Assist in designing experiments/surveys based on the research outline provided, in the area of agricultural economics
- Contribute to the development of research proposals including reviewing related literature and providing logistical support
- Exchange conceptual ideas with collaborating partners (internationally and within the Social Sciences Division of IRRI) and seek feedback
- Coordinate with collaborating partners on their research requirements
- Verify suggested methodologies and establish standard parameters and collection methodologies
- Select adequate research tools and equipment
- Assist in the identification of support staff, particularly in-country, and assign tasks/responsibilities
- Coordinate the required services and supplies for experiments/surveys
Manage the implementation of experiments/surveys/data management and other research studies related to socio-economic analyses of natural resource management for rice production
- Provide assistance and guidelines/information to scholars and collaborators considering the implementation of experiment(s) including the logistics, and use of tablets and specialized software for paper-free data entry
- Assign, monitor and evaluate research activities/tasks performed by Researchers, Research Technicians and contract workers; provide training and guidance for in-country collaborators and contract staff
- Maintain smooth conduct of experiment(s) and surveys by troubleshooting and fostering a productive teamwork environment
- Develop standard operating procedures (SOP) for data collection, management and storage
Consolidate, evaluate and analyze research data related to socio-economic analyses of natural resource management for rice production. Summarize and validate data using appropriate advanced statistical tools independently
- Assist in the interpretation of results in relation to changes in knowledge, attitudes and practices, and economic income
- Make recommendations for further research
- Assure maintenance of accurate data recording and update database for efficient storage and retrieval of information Oversee a meta-database for the CORIGAP Coordination Unit
Contribute to the preparation of reports, publications, and presentations
- Summarize research findings and draft manuscripts for publication in refereed journals
- Provide inputs to project reports
- Prepare posters and papers for presentation at local and international conferences
Coordinate and prepare training
- Draft training material using readily available published information (i.e. protocols, methodology)
- Prepare necessary supply; identify resource persons; make sure that the logistics are appropriate for defined purpose
- Act as resource person for training courses and visitors
- Supervise the work of Researchers, Research Technicians and/or contract workers
- Carry out performance appraisals of Research Technicians
- Contribute to the professional development of Research Technicians
- Assist students and trainees
Cross discipline collaboration
- Work effectively with specialists in agronomy, plant protection, water management, post-harvest, value chains, etc.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisor from time to time.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Agricultural Economics or related fields and 4 years of relevant work experience in socio-economics or impact assessment or;
- Master of Science degree in Agricultural Economics or related field and 1 year relevant work experience in agricultural or environmental sciences
- Proven technical proficiency in conducting field research experiments/surveys
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Some experience with quality assurance
- Some experience with research management
- Good presentation skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Able to work independently
- Good awareness of cultural differences and plans field work and other collaboration accordingly
- Some experience supervising or overseeing the work of staff