The Assistant Statistics & Data Analysis Officer will function under the direct supervision of the Senior DIMA Coordinator and work closely with the Senior Registration and Identity Management Officer, as well as the Senior Information Management Officer, and is an integral member of the Data, Identity Management and Analysis Unit (DIMA) within the Bureau.
UNHCR’s vision is that by 2025, UNHCR is a trusted leader on data and information related to refugees and other affected populations, thereby enabling actions that protect, include and empower. The DIMA will provide support and coordination to country operations within the region to facilitate registration, data and information management activities, including provision of regional statistical reporting and data analysis.
The Assistant Statistics & Data Analysis Officer will provide data science support to the DIMA. In particular, the incumbent will be responsible for capacitating staff, partners and national authorities in the region on statistical data collection and analysis of their datasets. This will require technical mathematics, statistical and computer science skills but also excellent communication and business skills to provide accurate analysis of data, in coordination with functional units and content experts. The incumbent should have some demonstrated skills with statistical modeling and machine learning and an ability to translate raw data into analysis and products for decision-making. The role will entail production of statistical reports, sampling, assessment and survey design and data anonymization. In addition, the individual will be responsible for supporting the Bureau and field operations with analyzing available data for internal and external consumption. Technical skills related to programming and database is also desirable, but not essential.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Support quality assurance and provision of technical advice on statistical analyses and indicators; take part in regional planning processes (regional RRP, regional migration response plans, etc.) and in those at the country level as appropriate and where support is needed.
- Contribute to the development or revision of statistical concepts, definition, standards and classifications used in UNHCR for research and decision-making.
- Contribute to the development of new or improved statistical methods and quantitative models for analyses and projections on forced displacement and statelessness.
- Support implementation of coherence and compliance with organisational standards, methodologies, and support for data analysis activities such as surveys, secondary data reviews, targeting and vulnerability assessments, indicator definition, population estimation, statistical analysis, predictive analytics, big data, international recommendations, data visualisation, official statistics and other statistical and data analysis activities.
- For all data collection or statistical analysis activities, contribute to developing plans and monitor implementation to ensure statistics and analysis are of highest standards.
- Help to ensure that statistical and analytical products produced by UNHCR or with partners meet required standards and are compliant with relevant policies to uphold integrity, veracity, reliability and credibility.
- Compile, consolidate, validate and disseminate official statistics on populations of concern to UNHCR at country, region or global level, including annual statistics.
- Support the development or revision of methodological approaches and standards for statistical surveys conducted by UNHCR or partner organizations in support of monitoring, assessment, targeting, evaluation, operational plans and results reporting.
- Support the design and implementation of relevant statistical analytical products and input into their production, including quality assurance.
- Support data analysis activities, including on persons of concern derived from UNHCR’s data systems such as, registration and identity management, results-based management, back office or other sectoral data systems.
- In coordination with sectoral and other data staff, apply statistical scenarios and models based on historical, recent and seasonal information to support comparative country, regional and global analysis, including political and sociodemographic trends.
- Advise on the appropriate methods and tools to be used in statistical and data analysis activities to be undertaken in region or country, or by other Headquarters units.
- In coordination with sectoral and other data staff, review indicators to be used to report on UNHCR’s populations of concern and develop new ones in line with international standards (SMART).
- In close collaboration with relevant experts, support the analysis of technical and sectoral reports and recommend required follow-up actions with regard to the strengthening of statistics and data analysis.
- Draft statistical reports for UNHCR and/or with partners.
- Contribute to the preparation of analytical reports, manuals and web sites in the area of forced displacement and statelessness in the region, notably with regard to statistical methods.
- With information management staff, support consistency in the analytical approach at global, regional and/or country level, including for the purpose of cross-border analysis and response.
- Contribute to partnerships and activities relevant to statistics and data analysis in the country, region, or globally and engage with country operations, partners and Governments, as appropriate.
- Participate on behalf of UNHCR in meetings or conferences as needed.
- Where relevant, represent UNHCR’s position in regard to refugee statistics and statistical methods with external bodies or provide technical inputs to this representation.
- Support the implementation of capacity strengthening activities for UNHCR and other stakeholders, including national statistical partners on statistics.
- Support the organization of, and participate in, missions, workshops, seminars, working groups and expert meetings as a regional technical resource person, providing technical documents and drafting relevant reports.
Education & Professional Work Experience:
- One-year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree.
Field(s) of Education:
- Social Sciences, Statistics, Demography, Geography/GIS, Epidemiology, Economics, Physical Sciences, Data Science or related field.
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- Operational Data Management Learning Program.