Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in the United Nations Resident Coordination Office (RCO) in in Libya and reports to the Senior Development Coordination Officer / Strategic Planning and RCO Team Leader.
Within delegated authority, the Development Coordination Officer, Partnerships and Development Finance will be responsible of the following duties:
Summary of Functions:
- Assists in providing substantive support for strategic planning for and coordination of UN Country Team (UNCT) partnerships
- Participates in joint resource mobilization for the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF)
- Provides coordination support on financing and accelerating longer-term stability, peacebuilding and development efforts of the UNCT, as directed
- Supports knowledge management and capacity development
Description of Functions:
Assists with the provision of substantive support for strategic planning for and coordination of UNCT partnerships
- Provides substantive support, as assigned, for the development and implementation of the UN Partnership Strategy in alignment with and support of the UNSDCF in the country;
- Monitors and assesses the strategy at regular intervals to harness new emerging opportunities, to identify probable changes to the internal direction and external environment, and to make mid-term adjustments;
- Provides substantive support to the Resident Coordinator (RC) in gathering and analyzing partner intelligence, providing talking points, and following up, in coordination with the UNCT members.
- Provides substantive support to the Resident Coordinator (RC) and the UNCT in identifying risks and opportunities related to specific partnerships, and suggests mitigation measures as relevant;
- Prepares inputs on due diligence processes of potential investment and partnership opportunities, in accordance with UN regulations and procedures;
- Provides substantive support to RC/UNCT to develop and implement locally-tailored partnerships and resource mobilization strategies and initiatives;
- Contributes to dialogues with partners to improve sustainable development policies and practice;
- Assists in liaison and coordination with UN entities at country, regional and HQ levels, to help package and define UN strategies and strategic positionings, including differentiated value propositions to attract partners, both traditional and non-traditional.
Participates in joint resource mobilization for the UNSDCF
- Provides substantive support to the RC/UNCT to develop and implement locally-tailored resource mobilization strategies and initiatives, and identify appropriate data and benchmarks to measure progress and success;
- Monitors and analyzes existing resource mobilization partnerships and relationships;
- Contributes to the design, formulation, implementation, monitoring and reporting of joint programmes and programming processes for use in joint resource mobilization;
- Assists in the production and distribution of marketing materials to raise awareness about opportunities for working with the UN on SDG investment;
- Contributes to building the UN brand via events, media and public relations opportunities targeted to the diverse partners, in close collaboration with the UN Communications Group.
Provides coordination support on financing and accelerating longer-term stability, peacebuilding and development efforts of the UNCT, as directed
- Provides substantive support on financing for development options, instruments, modalities to the RC/UNCT, in alignment with the Common Country Analysis (CCA), UNSDCF and similar processes;
- Analyzes trends and provides substantive support on domestic and/or innovative financing mechanisms for peacebuilding and development;
- Assists in engaging with external stakeholders, including the national government, international financial institutions and others;
- Contributes to the design and execution of project proposals to strengthen the UNCT’s joint initiatives, and to generate greater financial resources in support of the SDGs.
Supports knowledge management and capacity development
- Assists in the development, maintenance and sharing of knowledge and intelligence, to inform and position the RC/UNCT to effectively generate and harness opportunities to meet its resource mobilization targets;
- Contributes to knowledge networks and communities of practice at national, regional and global levels;
- Undertakes activities to strengthen the capacity of UNCTs to mainstream and promote SDG investment partnerships;
- Provides substantive support for the discovery, evaluation and selection of partnership opportunities at the sourcing and origination stages.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business or public administration, sustainable development, social sciences, education or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in providing strategic support to partnerships, project/programme management, resource mobilization or development finance in the context of development cooperation or related area is required.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.