Associate Programme Officer
United Nations Secretariat, Gebze, Turkey
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
The objectives of the Technology Bank are :
- To strengthen the science, technology and innovation capacity of least developed countries, including the capacity to identify, absorb, develop, integrate and scale up the deployment of technologies and innovations, including indigenous ones, as well as the capacity to address and manage intellectual property rights issues;
- To promote the development and implementation of national and regional science, technology and innovation strategies;
- To strengthen partnerships among science, technology and innovation-related public entities and with the private sector;
- To promote cooperation among all stakeholders involved in science, technology and innovation, including researchers, research institutions and public and private sector entities, within and between least developed countries, as well as with their counterparts in other countries;
- To promote and facilitate the identification and utilization of and access to appropriate technologies by the least developed countries, as well as their transfer to the least developed countries, while respecting intellectual property rights and fostering the national and regional capacity of the least developed countries for the effective utilization of technology in order to bring about transformative change.
- The focus of these jobs is the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes, operations and other activities in a particular sector, geographical or functional area.
Within delegated authority, the Associate Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Works with key clients to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes specific aspects of programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Carries out basic research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities, etc., to include collecting, analyzing and presenting statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources.
- Assists in performing consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposed participants, preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities; participates in the development of training workshops, seminars, etc.; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Performs other duties as required.
- Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to assist with data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- An advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) in business administration, management, economics or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in project/programme management, administration or related area is required.
- Experience within the United Nations common system or a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English or French is required; knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.