Associate Project Officer
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, Paris, France
Closing Date for Applications:
Under the overall authority of the Assistant-Director General for Education, the guidance of the Director of the Division and the direct supervision of the Chief of Section, the incumbent will:
Contribute technical, research and writing content on a variety of thematic areas:
- Prepare desk research on key thematic areas and drafts of technical texts.
- Contribute editorial support for finalisation of key technical, policy and advocacy resources.
- Contribute to the preparation of briefings, presentations, document summaries.
- Contribute to writing, finalisation and publication of documentation of good practice.
Support effective partnerships, events and knowledge management:
- Provide support for the coordination, preparation and successful delivery of stakeholder meetings and conferences, including contributing to concept notes, preparation of logistical aspects, coordinating translations or language requirements.
- Provide support in preparation and delivery of digital conferences, webinars and other activities.
- Translate brief documents, and support translation and dissemination of publications developed by the Section.
- Support UNESCO’s role in partnership fora with a focus on administration, communications, and support to the community of practice.
- Support UNESCO participation in key external partnerships, including drafting agendas and notetaking.
- Support documentation and knowledge sharing from stakeholder meetings or conferences.
Support project implementation and effective use of technical support:
- Support the development of Section’s workplan, budget and monitoring tools.
- Provide inputs for project planning and resource mobilisation as necessary.
- Support senior programme specialists for the timely planning and implementation of activities.
- Liaise with internal administrative services to facilitate activity implementation.
- COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- Communication (C)
- Accountability (C)
- Innovation (C)
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
- Planning and organizing (C)
- Results focus (C)
- Teamwork (C)
- For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in education, social sciences, public health or related field.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in a professional setting supporting programme implementation, with preferably at least one year acquired at international level.
- Understanding of development work and of country contexts in different regions;
- Strong writing skills (eg. writing reports, drafting text, preparing briefings);
- Strong interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy;
- Organisational skills for planning and managing tasks, contracts and projects;
- Academic or professional knowledge of themes related to HIV, sexuality education, sexual and reproductive health and gender equality;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and to maintain effective working relations within a multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to manage a heavy workload and to meet tight deadlines, paying close attention to detail and quality of work;
- Strong IT skills, including with Microsoft Office software.
- Excellent knowledge of English or French and good knowledge of the other.
- Professional experience in /or supporting work for a developing country setting related to one of the following themes: health, education, gender equality.
- Experience with UNESCO or other UN agency.
Skills and competencies
- Strategic and analytical skills.