Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located within the team that manages the Creative Community Outreach Initiative (CCOI) and the Messenger of Peace (MoP) Programme in the NGO Relations, Advocacy and Special Events Section, Outreach Division, Department of Global Communications.
The UN Creative Community Outreach Initiative (CCOI) is the first point of entry to the United Nations for film and television producers, writers, directors and other content creators. Recognizing the power of entertainment and the arts, CCOI collaborates with film and television productions to cast light on pressing global issues.
The United Nations Messengers of Peace are distinguished individuals, carefully selected from the fields of art, literature, science, entertainment, sports or other fields of public life, who have agreed to help focus worldwide attention on the work of the United Nations. The Messengers of Peace, through their public appearances, contacts with the international media and humanitarian work, help expand understanding of how the ideals and objectives of the Organization demand everyone’s attention. Thanks to their goodwill and reputation, many of these prominent individuals have successfully helped raise visibility around pressing regional and local issues in international media and more generally about the work of the United Nations.
The incumbent reports to the Manager of CCOI and the MoP Programme. This position is available immediately for 6 months with the possibility of extension.
Within delegated authority and depending on location, the Associate Public Information Officer may be responsible for the following duties:
- Coordinates collaborations and partnerships with film and TV productions interested in addressing issues on the Organization's agenda in their productions or wishing to film on location at UN premises; reviews scripts and proposals submitted by film and TV productions.
- Identifies contacts with key influencers, creatives (musical artists, theatre, gaming, and other forms of digital content), commercial brands, private sector actors, as well as internal partners and campaigns, to develop and implement opportunities for strategic engagement, including activities related to the UN Messengers of Peace Programme. Helps to track activities and relationships.
- Organizes or participates in the organization of special events, screenings, seminars, briefings, interviews, meetings with new partners by planning and facilitating conference calls, etc. Prepares briefing materials and talking points, and drafts remarks for senior officials prior to their participation in such events.
- Tracks, researches and analyzes information on assigned topics/issues; monitors and reports on impact of partnerships, gathering and researching information from diverse sources, especially for the development of CCOI projects.
- Prepares, on the basis of official UN documentation and other sources, various materials and initial drafts for CCOI/MOP related projects, including articles for UN newsletters, concept notes, press releases, briefs, news articles, social media posts and content for the team’s two websites, including graphic, photo and videos.
- Responds to a variety of inquiries and information requests internally and externally; prepares related correspondence.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in communication, journalism, international relations, public administration or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.
- A first-level university degree and no experience will be accepted for candidates who have passed the Young Professionals Programme Examination/United Nations National Competitive Recruitment Examination (NCRE) or the General Service to Professional Examination (G to P).
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in public information, journalism, communications, international relations, public administration is required.
- Experience in coordinating communication or related projects is required.
- Experience working with digital media, including social media platforms (eg. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok) is required.
- Experience working with influencers, youth-related initiatives, and/or entertainment and creative organizations is desirable.
- Experience in monitoring and analyzing social media content is desirable.
- Experience in using design programmes and video editing software is desirable.
- Experience working in an international or human rights organization is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.