Audit and Compliance Coordinator
Danish Refugee Council, Mogadishu, Somalia
Closing Date for Applications:
The DRC/DDG Somalia Programme is the largest programmes in East Africa region. DRC/DDG is among the INGOs with the largest presence in Somalia, with country-wide programmes implemented through six main sub offices in Somaliland, Puntland, Hiraan Region, Gedo Region, Bay Region and Banadir Region
Overall purpose of the role:
Responsible for preparing and facilitating all external audits. S/he provides an independent organizational risk assessment that generates recommendations geared towards improving the effectiveness and efficiency of the work of DRC; to ensure that senior management is informed of audit findings and recommendations and key risks within DRC operations to support them in decision making; and to provide information to various internal and external stakeholders on the DRC risk assessment. The position holder will put in place Risk and audit systems and workflows that will support area teams to enhance compliance to donor rules and regulations. S/he will support the country Finance Manager, Supply Chain Manager and the head of the Business and Partnerships Development unit DRC/DDG Somalia on compliance matters.
- Lead and coordinate external audits across Somalia ensuring that disallowances are minimized and that there are no qualified audits. Follow-up on implementation of recommendations while ensuring sharing and learning across area offices.
- Planning - Anticipate project audit requirements and plan appropriately. Coordinate shipping, pre-audit document inspection and avail all documentation before commencement of audit fieldwork.
- Execution - Review and respond to audit queries and discuss with the auditor before going back to field offices. Escalate high-risk issues and potential financial liabilities to management and Regional office
- Finalization and Reporting - Follow-up on issuance of draft reports and drafting of management comments with quality-assurance to ensure reports are accurate and feedback to donors. Ensure proper archiving of final reports.
- Follow-up on implementation of recommendations while ensuring sharing and learning across area offices.
- Procurement of auditors - Organize contracting of auditors in coordination with project or grant managers and supply chain department as per available budget and donor terms of reference.
- Support DRC Regional and Country management teams in ensuring all operations are implemented within acceptable DRC and donor guidelines. This includes giving assurance that financial and other organization’s policies are interpreted and practiced in a manner consistent with the organization’s values, mission and objectives and ensuring that internal control systems including program delivery, monitoring & evaluation, procurement, etc. are adequate in order to achieve the organization’s objectives in an efficient and effective manner.
- Periodic reviews - Carry out quarterly internal reviews to ensure that DRC and donor guidelines are implemented and followed and provide feedback to line managers for action in accordance with the annual compliance plan.
- Testing systems - Implement and maintain testing systems to ensure that all offices are following DRC financial, procurement and administration policies and accepted accounting principles.
- Support to Implementing partners’ management – Review partners’ management systems ensuring that assessments and due diligence checks are done and a repository maintained in the Dynamics Grants module. Support partner capacity assessments, periodic reviews and capacity-building sessions.
- Technical support for Adhoc compliance requests - Perform review of derogations. Support to perform due diligence checks and vetting of suppliers against sanctions lists.
- Support on compliance issues at grants opening and close-out meetings.
- Support in documentation and sharing of action points/ minutes from audit and compliance discussions and grant portfolio reviews during ESMT and other meetings. Follow-up on action points those from meetings.
- Tracking of compliance trends including emerging and recurring risks.
- Ensure that an updated file and overview of authorizations/ delegation of authority and bank mandate for Somalia is up-to-date and maintained.
- Working with the Grants Management Coordinator, ensure all managers in field offices understand DRC and donor award management processes including maintaining a well-organized physical filing and electronic systems.
- Identification, escalation, sharing and management of risks ensuring that RO and CO management is aware and responds appropriately.
- Maintain the audit-tracking tool for individual areas of audit and compliance assessments and consolidate with team for dissemination to management. Ensure timely reminders and follow with management for implementation of the recommended actions.
- Support to Risk management meetings - Provide input to Country areas of compliance risk while feeding into risk registers and issues logs and follow-up on closure of issues. Escalation of emerging risks to management on a timely basis.
- Ensure country risk register is updated on a monthly basis
- Provide risk analysis during proposal development processes
To be successful in this role we expect the following experience and technical competencies:
- At least 6 years’ relevant experience with an international NGO in grants management & accounting, finance, internal audit, risk management and compliance. with a minimum 3 years in Audit and Compliance.
- University degree in Accounting, Commerce, Economics or Business Management /Administration or related business degree.
- Masters will be an added advantage
- Certified Chartered Accountant/ Certified Public Accountant
- Familiarity with requirements of key humanitarian donors and capacity to work in a multi-donor environment, including UNHCR, UNICEF, EU/ ECHO, SHF/OCHA, SIDA, DFID, OFDA, FFP, DANIDA, WFP among others.
- Possess strong analytical and conceptual skills.
- Strong self-starter, able to take initiative.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision.
- Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours.
- Excellent interpersonal skills & demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations between various stakeholders.
- Knowledge/Experience working in remote and challenging environments.