The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) WFP is recognized as the leading solution provider and partner in the struggle to end hunger and malnutrition and particularly for its efforts to reach those furthest behind first.
Being the frontline agency of the United Nations system that delivers innovative hunger solutions to 81 countries each day worldwide; WFP’s 14,800+ strong staff share a vision and commitment to end hunger by 2030. Tackling the causes -- not just the symptoms – and operating in the remotest corners of the world, with all logistical means necessary, WFP’s results-focussed team provides nutritious and life-saving food and cash assistance when necessary. Bringing unrivalled experience and operating in the world’s most high profile, difficult environments, WFP upholds the humanitarian principles of humanity, integrity impartiality and neutrality.
In successfully achieving the Sustainable Development Goal 2 (SDG 2) i.e Zero Hunger by 2030, the WFP team actively fosters partnerships with governments, communities, local authorities, civil societies, other UN agencies and the private sector.
WFP Malawi is seeking qualified and dynamic candidate for the positions of Budget & Programming Assistant based at the Lilongwe Country Office as detailed below;
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Completion of Secondary School Education.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business Administration or Supply Chain Management
- Language: Fluency (level C) in English language.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute to the review of budget plans, monitoring and analysis of project financial performance and make recommendations in compliance with WFP financial policies and procedures and best practices to support financial analysis and optimisation of resources.
- Provide basic analysis on fund and grant balances and refer to the supervisor discrepancies, to support maximum fund utilization and decision-making process.
- Contribute to pipeline management facilitating efficient monitoring to prevent and address pipeline breaks and maximise operational effectiveness.
- Enter accurate data in the corporate systems within the established deadlines, to enable easy access to information and support planning and decision-making.
- Compile data and provide basic analysis, maintain accurate records and files and prepare periodic and ad hoc reports for further reviews, to support accuracy and efficiency of information presented to internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintain communication with a number of individuals regarding project funds management matters and related processes to clarify any discrepancies and optimise use of funds.
- Provide guidance and on-the-job training to other staff in budget planning, fund management and operational planning, to support continued development and consistency in services delivered.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices, to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience in assisting with the preparation of complex financial documents.
- Has supported the performance of budget analyses.
- Has contributed to the collection of pipeline data.