Chief Executive Officer
IILA , Nairobi, Kenya
Closing Date for Applications:
IILA seeks the recruitment of a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) who is a Kenyan citizen to plan, manage and direct the operations of the organization in a manner that ensures delivery of the organisation's mandate and the achievement of set goals, whilst complying with the highest standards of integrity, accountability and ethical standards.
Reporting to the Board of Directors (BoD), the CEO will provide strategic leadership to IILA and will lead the organization in executing its strategic plan and meeting operational goals. S/he will also develop and maintain positive relationships with key stakeholders including funders, civil society, the private sector, government and media.
- Facilitate and lead the development and implementation of the organisation’s strategic plans with the full involvement/participation of the Board and the Staff of IILA.
- Work/consult with the Board on policy issues pertaining to the smooth and effective running of the organisation and provide feedback to the staff.
- Organise and co-ordinate the overall operations of the organisation including financial, assets and staff management, and report to the Board as and when required.
- Prepare various reports necessary for the successful management of IILA and the fulfillment of IILA’s mission, and ensure their timely submission to the BoD and other key stakeholders
- Assist the BoD to organise annual general meetings and represent IILA in external fora as directed by the BoD
- Enforce adherence to IILA policies and procedures as well as ensure compliance to contracts with partner organisations and adherence to the IILA’s standards of accountability.
Business Development and Resource Mobilization
- Lead in resource mobilization, establishing, nurturing and managing donor and stakeholder relations and marketing the organisation’s image and role in the national, regional and international network of organisations. Take an active role in building and strengthening relationships with funders.
- Working closely with the Finance HR and Administration Officer to oversee the planning, implementation, administration and evaluation of all financial systems and activities, including planning, budgeting, reporting, controls and auditing.
- Oversee the development and implementation of efficient systems that support the effective use of project resources and ensure audits are conducted on an annual basis.
- Lead, motivate and manage the management team consisting of the Programmes Coordinator and Finance, HR and Administration Officer.
- Manage, develop and appraise staff and ensure that the IILA culture and staff behaviour reflects IILA’s core values and ethical behaviour and integrity.
- Ensure accountability for IILA staff activities, foster effective communication among staff and manage relations between staff and the Board of Directors
- Co-ordinate the development and implementation of project proposals, work plans and budgets for the organisation and ensure that these are in line with the organisation's strategic plan and mandate.
- Promote IILA programmes to target clients e.g. NGOs, Business Associations and Government Departments. Give presentations to local and international stakeholders and audiences on legislative, access to justice governance and corruption issues.
- Develop, coordinate and implement anti-corruption campaigns by all legal means possible through virtual platforms, mainstream media, road shows, public meetings and via collaboration with like minded organisations.
KNOWLEDGE/ SKILLS EXPERIENCE
- Education level of a masters degree preferably in Law, Economics or Public Policy and/or with 7-10 years experience in policy research, analysis and policy advocacy
- Extensive experience in managing organisations and/or programs/projects
- Experience or qualification in public administration, development and/or human rights
- Familiarity with media, public communications and campaigning work.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant working experience at supervisory level
- Knowledge of policy, governance, access to justice, accountability and development issues
- Must be a team player and be able to work with minimal or no supervision
- Experience in working with policy makers