Chief of ICT and Development Section
ESCAP , Bangkok, Thailand
Closing Date for Applications:
Located in the Information and Communications Technology and Disaster Risk Reduction (IDD) Division, the ICT and Development Section (IDS) provides analytical support and promotes regional policy dialogue and partnerships for improved ICT connectivity in support of inclusive and resilient development. IDS promotes integrated and people-centered approaches by providing member States (in particular, to least developed countries and countries with special needs) with socioeconomic analysis on rapid advances in ICT, emerging trends, and policy options and recommendations for addressing the digital divide.
This position is located in the ICT and Development Section (IDS), Information and Communications Technology and Disaster Risk Reduction Division. The incumbent reports to the Director of the Information and Communications Technology and Disaster Risk Reduction Division (IDD).
Under the direct supervision of the Director of IDD, the incumbent is required to perform the following functions:
- Provides policy guidance on conceptual strategy development and management of the implementation of overall strategies and intra and inter-divisional/departmental policies and procedures.
- Plans and oversees the management of activities undertaken by the Section; ensures that substantive work programmes and programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion, coordinating diverse projects in the ICT and Development Section, and, in liaison with other organizations of the United Nations System, donors and agencies as appropriate.
- Manages, supervises and carries out the work programme of the Section under his/her responsibility. Co-ordinates the work carried out by the Section; provides programmatic and substantive reviews of drafts prepared by others.
- Provides substantive input in the preparation of position papers and reports for presentation to intergovernmental bodies such as the Committee on Information and Communications Technology, Science, Technology and Innovation, Commission Session, Advisory Committee of Permanent Representatives and Other Representatives Designated by Members of the Commission, Economic and Social Council, and other policy-making organs, as appropriate.
- Contributes to the reporting to intergovernmental bodies on budget/programme performance or on programmatic/ substantive issues, as appropriate, particularly those presented in biannual and/or annual reports.
- Ensures that the outputs produced by the Section maintain high-quality standards; that reports are clear, objective and based on comprehensive data. Ensures that all outputs produced by the Section under his/her supervision meet required standards before completion to ensure they comply with the relevant mandates.
- Prepares inputs for the work programme of the Division, determining priorities, and allocating resources for the completion of outputs and their timely delivery.
- Carries out programmatic/administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the Section, including preparation of budgets, assigning and monitoring of performance parameters and critical indicators, reporting on budget/programme performance, preparation of inputs for results-based budgeting, evaluation of staff performance (PAS), interviews of candidates for job openings and evaluation of candidates.
- Recruits staff for Section taking due account geographical and gender balance and other institutional values.
- Manages, guides, develops and trains staff under his/her supervision.
- Fosters teamwork and communication among staff in the Section and across the Secretariat and organizational boundaries.
- Represents the Organization at inter-agency meetings, seminars, etc. on ICT and development related issues.
- Participates in international, regional or country-level meetings and provides programmatic/substantive expertise on an issue, or hold programmatic/substantive and organizational discussions with representatives of think tanks, private sectors and NGOs concerned with ICT and development.