Chief of party
Catholic Relief Services, Nairobi, Kenya
Closing Date for Applications:
- As Chief of Party II you will provide vision, leadership, and overall management of the anticipated ‘Sustainable, Transformational and Accessible WASH Interventions’ (STAWI) project. The project aims to build resilience and expand economic opportunities in Kenya ASAL counties through better management of water resources, expansion of water and sanitation services and improved use of water for domestic and productive purposes. The goal of the project is to 1) Improve governance of water resources and water services, 2) increase sustainability of water services delivery, 3) Improve management and efficiency of water use for productive purposes and 4) Change behaviors related to water use, sanitation and hygiene. Your strategic leadership, management and technical knowledge will ensure the delivery of high-quality programming and advance the position of CRS as a leading agency in the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene field. As a senior leader you will proactively manage security and mitigate security risks.
This post is contingent on approved donor funding. Qualified Kenyan nationals are highly encouraged to apply.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Lead all aspects of the development, implementation, and consolidation of the WASH project, including sharing how the project contributes to the thought leadership of the industry. Serve as the primary point of contact to USAID as well as public, private and non-government stakeholders.
- Ensure the project is designed and implemented in a gender responsive and/or transformative manner and meets donor expectations in terms of timely and quality results and budget, including strategies for phase out and sustainability. Ensure coordination between program and operations leads. Ensure the CRS program quality standards are adhered to per MEAL policy and procedures.
- Effectively manage senior programming and operations talent. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching and mentoring. Strategically tailor individual development plans and complete performance assessments for direct reports. Oversee the development of staffing plans and the recruitment process of senior staff.
- Manage and mitigate risk through monitoring national and regional issues that may impact staff and programming. Ensure all staff understand and adhere to CRS staff safety and security policies and plans and ensure the updating of such plans.
- Promote, uphold, and model a commitment to the efficient use of agency and donor resources. Ensure compliance with USAID grants, including financial tracking and oversight of partner budgets, finance, administration, and reporting to USAID. Approve program expenditures, budget adjustments, and cost modification requests to donors.
- Represent CRS programming in international circles, highlighting innovative work. Publish program results and deliver presentations. Oversee the development of communication strategies and materials, complying with donor and CRS’ branding and marketing requirements and procedures.
- Manage relationships with consortium partner organizations, including organization of review/planning workshops. Coordinate the roles and activities of staff from other consortium member organizations in implementation in line with CRS partnership principles.
- Create and maintain proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to deficiencies. Identify performance gaps and training opportunities for CRS and partner staff and ensure the design and delivery of high quality training and technical assistance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Excellent relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams. Coaching/mentoring skills.
- Awareness of and commitment to gender equality standards in operations and programming
- Strong communications and presentation skills; able to develop tailored and persuasive messaging for varied audiences.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented, and results-oriented.
- Established leader in sector as demonstrated by peer reviewed publications, conference presentations etc.
- Demonstrated experience of successful program management, including management of complex, high-value, multi-activity projects, with complicated logistics.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Knowledge of CRS partnership strategy a plus.
- Ability to represent and present at high levels.
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
- Good knowledge of transformative WASH system strengthening and governance principles, methods and monitoring tools adapted to Kenyan context
- Knowledge/experience in working with finance and business development agencies to improve WASH services
- Knowledge/experience in market-based approaches to develop WASH services.
- Knowledge/experience in behavior change strategy development in ASAL context
- USG contracting experience is a plus
- Required Languages - Fluency in English.