Chief of Party
FHI 360, Dakar, Senegal
Closing Date for Applications:
The Chief of Party (COP) will provide strategic, managerial, technical leadership and management oversight to the project. S/he will oversee all aspects of the project implementation cycle, including planning and evaluation, ensure program quality and personnel and financial management. S/he will maintain close coordination with USAID/Senegal and other stakeholders, ensuring that all project interventions are of high quality and lead to measurable impact. S/he will be responsible for timely and adequate implementation of project activities, deliverables and execution, monitoring and reporting of the project. The COP will serve as the principal liaison to USAID/Senegal for this project and will have regular communication with USAID/Senegal’s Agreement Officer’s Representative. The COP will collaborate closely with all stakeholders, in particular the Senegal Ministry of Health and other partners working in the same geographic areas. The COP is responsible for ensuring compliance with FHI 360 policies and procedures and USG rules and regulations and for ensuring sub-awardee compliance and quality of program implementation. The position will be based in Dakar, Senegal.
- Leads the project team, technical and operational aspects of the project, including planning and implementation; ensuring clarity over plans and priorities, and encourages effective teamwork and adaptive management;
- Oversees a team of senior technical, operations, compliance and finance staff and ensures clear roles and responsibilities and lines of communication are maintained among the team members;
- Supervises key staff, including ensuring field staff regularly prepare and accurately update performance data;
- Provides guidance and mentoring to managers and staff to achieve project goals and develop national leadership capacity;
- Develops a vision for the project and leads its adaptation based on performance data and regular reviews.
Management and Compliance
- Ensures compliance with USAID requirements, U.S. government regulations, and FHI 360 policies and procedures;
- Reviews and approves contractual deliverables to meet USAID and corporate reporting requirements that document program performance and monitor overall award compliance;
- Leads preparation of project deliverables, including annual work-plans, budgets and project activity updates, and other project-related communication and reporting materials in accordance with USAID deadlines;
- Provides overall financial oversight of the budget over the life of the project;
- Collaborates with and directly act upon inputs from FHI 360’s contracts management team to ensure continuous compliance of all consortium members with agreement/contract rules and regulations;
- Organizes project teams and oversee production of SOPs to meet project goals and ensure compliance with policies;
- Ensures continuous communication with FHI 360 regional office and technical units at headquarters.
External Relations and Representation
- Liaises with USAID/Senegal, local government institutions, civil society organizations, private sector companies and investors, and other partners to coordinate activities and facilitate monitoring and reporting of project objectives and achievements;
- Liaises with USG partners and other donors and implementing agencies to ensure coordination of and synergy with other USAID/Senegal health activities;
- Builds strong strategic partnerships with a wide group of stakeholders required to achieve project goals, including local civil society and the private sector;
- Represents the project at regional, national and international fora, including technical and investment conferences, policy briefings, networking events, etc.
- A Bachelor's degree required; (Master’s degree strongly preferred) or equivalent in public health or any field relevant to quality management, quality improvement, supply chain management of essential commodities and equipment, health system financing, human resources for health, and health information systems. Clinical background strongly preferred
- At least 12+ years of professional experience relevant to health systems strengthening, addressing service access and quality and developing/overseeing system strengthening interventions at the district level focused on governance, management, human resources, financing, pharmaceutical and supply chain management, and information systems.
- At least 5 years of experience as a Chief of Party, or equivalent, managing and implementing high-volume USAID or other donor-funded health projects in complex settings, with specific experience working with government counterparts, international donors, and local organizations to strengthen the health sector;
- Proven experience working with government officials, particularly the Ministry of Health is highly desirable;
- Systems thinker with demonstrated skills in building effective and respectful relationships with local stakeholders at central, peripheral and community levels of the health system
- Prior experience in working in Senegal and/or knowledge of the Senegal health sector;
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills to plan, organize, and manage resources for successful completion of projects;
- Experience supervising a large team of technical and management staff;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and French; knowledge of Wolof or any Senegalese local languages will be an advantage.