Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the largest Swiss children's relief organization. Since 1960, Tdh has been helping to build a better future for disadvantaged children and their communities through innovative and sustainable solutions. Present in 32 countries with an operational budget of more than 90 million Swiss francs, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement in-field projects that improve daily lives of more than three million children and their families in the areas of health, protection and emergency. Our mission is financed by individual and institutional donors, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
In 2015, Tdh launched an integrated emergency WaSH, Child Protection and NFI response, following several waves of IDPs resulting from military operations to free Shirgat districts, as well as the South Mossul Corridor.
Tdh with its 300 staff employees is currently implementing a 12 Million CHF emergency and rehabilitation Program, throughout the country.
- The Child Protection and Education PM is assisting and working under the day-to-day supervision of the Field Coordinator, with technical support and strategic oversight from the Child Protection and Education Coordinator. S/he is responsible for the direct implementation and supervision of the Child Protection projects.
- S/he works completely in line with the CP project strategy and Tdh’s Iraq’s programmatic strategy as it is defined for the specific context of intervention. S/he works in close coordination with the governmental and non-governmental agencies, with the cluster system, to develop, monitor and orientate the CP and Education projects.
- S/he is expected to play a leadership role within the response team but is also responsible for supporting and building the capacity of colleagues. Eventually, the Project Manager is required to support the capacity building of a national Deputy PM to allow for the nationalization of the role.
- Human Resources Management and Capacity building
- Lead and manage staff, encouraging effective teamwork and providing supervision and guidance, including regular and constructive feedback;
- Organize and lead weekly team meetings, and provide weekly program update to the adequate persons;
- Coordinate the capacity building support to the CP and Education team, relevant local authorities, and community workers and groups, as required by the project, specifically on recreational and play activities, PSS, and case management;
- Provide technical support to CP and Education team members as needed;
- Target capacity building of a national Deputy PM and supervisors towards the nationalization of the project management;
- Participate in CP team recruitment and revision of job descriptions;
- Develop, implement and monitor the Child Protection and Education projects, in accordance with multiple objectives, activities and targets outlined within current donor proposals and in line with projects’ budgets;
- Ensure that activities are appropriately monitored and evaluated and propose, when deemed necessary, amendments to the child protection and education strategy, in consultation with the CP/Education Coordinator and the relevant programmatic coordination team;
- Conduct initial and regular assessments of the Child Protection and Education projects and activities’ impact, and needs;
- Propose new activities and assess modalities of response, based on needs assessed;
- Forecast and follow up on expenditures related to the Child Protection and Education projects, and participate in budget revision exercises;
- Prepare timely purchase requests in line with the Child Protection and Education project needs;
- Identify logistic and admin support needs related to the CP and Education project and communicate these to the Base Manager/Field Coordinator and relevant log/admin support person;
- Ensure that appropriate pathways and processes are implemented to comply with accountability of affected populations principles;
Information Management and Reporting
- Oversee the implementation of the database and project follow-up (PFU) tools, and ensure that monthly PFU are submitted to the MEAL manager;
- Ensure data quality management and proper channels of data verification and record keeping;
- Ensure correct data protection procedures and filing;
- Provide compiled meeting minutes reports to the Country representative, including movement plans;
- Upon completion of the assignment, submit a complete and detailed handover report;
Coordination and Representation
- Coordinate with other Tdh PMs, teams, and sector coordinators to ensure implementation of a complementary and integrated response, with appropriate information sharing, internal referrals, and cross-training;
- Work in close collaboration and consultation with available government structures, non-government actors, cluster system and community representatives;
- Represent Tdh in fora and meetings held at community and local levels;
- Develop a network to facilitate the projects’ acceptance and stakeholders’ contribution and ownership;
- Comply with Tdh Security Regulations;
- Report any security/safety incident and/or risk to the Country Representative;
- Inform CP/Education staff on security rules defined by the Country Program.
- Professional University degree in social sciences, in social work, or in a relevant field (Master’s degree preferred);
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in the progressive management of international projects with NGOs or international organizations is mandatory. Previous experience in emergency response is preferred;
- Experience in protection programming is mandatory, especially in child protection;
- Experience working in compliance with the contractual requirements of institutional donors is mandatory;
- Organized, sense of human relations, diplomacy, communication skills, ability to work under pressure;
- Proactive, autonomous, rigorous, analytical, willingness and motivation to work in an international and intercultural context;
- Excellent written and spoken English, knowledge of Arabic is preferred;
- Knowledge of the Iraqi/Syrian context would be a distinct advantage.
- Please be advised that living conditions in the field (volatile security context, basic living conditions, shared showers/toilets, curfew, restriction of movements, etc.) can be challenging and although Tdh does the necessary to ensure security and wellbeing of the staff, people used to a certain level of comfort might not feel at ease in the field.