We are looking for our delegation in Greece for a
Child Protection and PSS Project Manager
Location and working conditions: Thessaloniki - Greece
Activity rate: 100%
Start date of post: 26.12.2016
Duration : 6 months, more if funding available.
Deadline: Terre des hommes does not set closing dates for this position; recruitment is ongoing until the position is filled.
Swiss salaried contract 3’898 CHF (~3’100 €) < > 5’050 CHF (~4’000 €) net /month according to experience x 13 times, Vacancy: 25 days annual leaves local accommodation and transportation, Health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, return flight.
Note – the confirmation of engagement will depend on donor’s financing
In 2015, 850 000 refugees arrived by sea to the Greek islands and by 1st December 2016 up to an additional 172 000 refugees entered Greece. Following the closure of borders throughout the Balkans (8 March 2016) and the implementation of the EU-Turkey Agreement (20 March), refugees arriving in Greece can’t continue their journey towards Western Europe and more than 60 000 refugees are currently stranded in Greece. In addition more than 2 500 Unaccompanied children have been registered so far. Mid to long term solutions are being currently sought by the Greek government and humanitarian actors to provide sustainable support to these refugees, including shelter, protection services, legal aid and access to basic services. It is however likely that emergency support to refugees will still be needed throughout 2017.
Terre des hommes (Tdh) has started working in Greece since March 2016, first in Eidomeni, and then around Thessaloniki in emergency reception centers, providing notably NFI and protection/PSS support. Since September, Tdh is also active in Epirus (Ioannina) with protection and education programmes.
Considering concerning needs around Thessaloniki, Tdh plans to increase alternative care arrangements for UAC and to include provisions of case management and psychosocial support to vulnerable children and caregivers in the urban context of Thessaloniki.
To that end, a position of project manager has been created to run such project in Thessaloniki.
Main responsibilities :
The Child Protection and PSS Project Manager is assisting and working under the supervision of the Field Coordinator in Thessaloniki. He/She is in charge of the direct implementation and supervision of the Child Protection and PSS project.
He/she works in complete line with the CP project strategy defined for the intervention.
He/she works in close coordination with the governmental and non-governmental agencies, with the coordination system, to develop, monitor and orientate the CP project.
He/she works with all relevant authorities at district and community level (civil, religious, police, militaries and all other services) for a better implementation, acceptance and ownership in improving the conditions to protect children.
He/she will conduct his or her duties in respect of the Charter of Terre des hommes and the Tdh Child Protection Policy.
Terre des hommes expects that its contractors’ professional conduct reflect proper behaviour in accordance with local culture and traditions. The incumbent assures the moral protection of the name of Terre des hommes and defends in all circumstances the interests of the movement.
Function details :
Team Management & Human Resources Management:
- Identify, recruit train and manage programme staff: four team leaders, social, case and welfare workers and interpreters (approx. 40 people);
- Manage a junior project officer;
- Ensure staff care;
- Ensure Child safeguarding policy is enforced;
- Ensure the whole team has a clear understanding of the Tdh CP mandate and project;
- Ensure a positive working environment and good team dynamics (solve out potential conflicts), organise and lead coordination meetings;
- Evaluate the staff under his/her direct responsibility on a regular basis and pass on the evaluations and recommendations to HR;
- Ensure the communication contract is implemented within his/her team(s) and project teams;
- Create conditions for a good flow of operational information from delegation – field - delegation (verbal exchanges, e-mails, sitreps, reports,, etc.);
- Ensure overall compliance with the Tdh HR procedures and those of the country (fairness, transparency);
- Participate in the delegation coordination meetings;
- Ensure and support the accountability of the national teams in a gradual process of delegation and nationalisation of managerial posts;
- Develop his/her subordinates' self-reliance and encourage collaboration.
- Develop, implement and monitors the Child Protection and PSS project, in accordance with multiple objectives, activities and targets outlined within current donor proposals and in line with projects’ budgets;
- Ensure that activities are appropriately monitored and evaluated and proposes, when deemed necessary, amendments to the child protection strategy;
- Follow up on the Child Protection and PSS situation in Greece, particularly in Northern Greece, and activities’ impact and propose adjustments of the project strategy if needed;
- Forecast and follow up on expenditures related to the project;
- Participate in budget revision exercises;
- Prepare timely purchase requests in line with the project needs;
- Support required actions by the administration related to protection team management and supervision;
- Identify logistic and admin support needs related to the CP project and communicate these to the relevant log/admin support person(s).
Project Strategy, reporting and planning:
- Ensure donor and internal reporting;
- Feed information to the field coordinator;
- Participate in designing strategies and objectives for improved support to beneficiaries and contribute actively in its monitoring, evaluation and revision;
- Participate in CP and PSS assessments in its geographical zone of intervention or outside;
- Participate in the review of the strategy for Greece.
Coordination and representation:
- Coordinate with other Tdh sectors to ensure implementation of standardised activities;
- Work in close collaboration and consultation with available government structures, non-government actors, cluster system;
- Coordinate with other departments (programme and support) as necessary;
- Increase Tdh visibility in terms of CP and education in Greece;
- Participate in all relevant meetings.
- In his/her professional activities, adhere to the values defined in the strategic plan: commitment, expertise, integrity and self-reliance;
- Work in different cultural backgrounds and in difficult situations, deal with confrontation due to differences (intercultural).
Abuse Prevention Policy – Child Protection Policy (CPP) – Operational Risk Management:
- Undertake to ensure the best possible implementation of the Child Protection Policy (CPP) and operational risk management in his/her intervention zone and within project teams (in the case of an identified problem, contact the Head of Delegation to report it);
- Assist in the implementation of resources for promoting awareness and supervision necessary for his/her local colleagues to adhere to the Child Protection Policy (CPP) and operational risk management;
- Participate in monitoring protection cases, allegations or possible/potential violations of the Child Protection Policy under the supervision of the Head of Delegation;
- In conjunction with the Head of Delegation and the field coordinator, analyse the security situation in his/her area and inform line management;
- Contribute to updating the security plan on his/her area(s) of intervention;
- Check that the members of staff in his area(s) are in fact following safety procedures.
Specificities of the position in Greece:
- Mission opening context;
- Recruitment and training of local staff.
- Extensive project management experience (management, planning, staff development and training skills) in emergency and/or development programme
- At least 4 years’ experience in a similar position/high management position in the field
- Excellent knowledge and experience working with ECHO funds
- Significant knowledge and experience in logistics, admin and finance
- Significant knowledge of international humanitarian response and development work
- Excellent written and spoken English (French is not required)
- Advanced IT skills
- Driving License
- Excellent writing, reporting and communication skills
- Ability to work in an inter cultural environment
- Responsive, motivated, good communicator
- Ability to work under pressure
- Management skills
- Office Pack
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
HOW TO APPLY:
Please postulate on our website: www.tdh.ch/en/jobs We will only consider complete online applications corresponding to the required profile. Your application must include a complete CV and a covering letter. If you are not shortlisted, your file will be destroyed by us, according to the rules on data protection.
If you face difficulties in applying online, please contact our HR department: firstname.lastname@example.org
Terre des hommes provides equal working conditions for men and women. Furthermore, for candidates with equivalent qualifications and for positions with responsibilities, applications from women are strongly encouraged.
The recruitment and selection procedures of Terre des hommes reflect our commitment for child security and protection.