DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
The Intern role is area focused and will be responsible for documenting field activities – photos, videos, beneficiary quotes and human-interest stories. The intern will be based in Baidoa with frequent field visits to various DRC Baidoa locations. He/She will provide communication support to the field office in Baidoa.
- Accompany project staff and take photos of project activities
- Caption and upload photos of project activities on Smugmug
- Collect Human interest stories from beneficiaries
- Carry out video interviews of beneficiaries & loosely edit videos
- Share loosely edited videos with comms officer & comms specialist for use
- Share project activity photos & information in a timely fashion for immediate dissemination.
- Collect quotes from beneficiaries and share with accompanying photographs for dissemination
- Support field office with other assigned communication activities.
- Collect internal staff stories for DRC Somalia’s Internal newsletter. English/Somalia Translations for
- communication documents
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Experience, education and technical competencies
- Recent Graduate or Post Graduate in Communications, Journalism, Graphics or Public relations
- Interest and or experience in media & communication including photography and videography skills.
- Ability to produce written English across a range of communication products.
- Relevant skills in social media posting an advantage.
- High attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to multi-task and work with short deadlines.