The WRI China Communications Officer is a key member of the office, working closely with the WRI China Communications Director and program staff in China and the central communication team in Washington, DC, to develop and carry out high-quality, effective and timely communications in China.
This position requires a broad range of professional communication skills that will advance WRI’s work in China to advance the reputation of the office and support its programs. The position requires strong skills in strategic thinking and planning, budget management, writing, editing, media relations, website content development and social media. The position requires working directly with media and other stakeholders to advance messages to the domestic media in China and internationally media.
- Develop and implement multi-faceted communications strategies, tactics, deliverables, and metrics in support of WRI China institutional excellence building; and
- Provide strategic communications counsel and share knowledge to and collaborate with the programmatic staff to design and deliver effective and impactful communications strategies, plans and activities to support the achievement of our work.
Writing & Editing
- Write and edit press releases, online articles, brochures and other materials to support programs;
- Write and circulate institutional newsletters;
- Work with the media to raise the profile of WRI China, including organizing media events, arranging interviews, and collecting media clippings;
- Write and edit materials for distribution to the news media, including press releases, advisories, fact sheets and quote sheets;
- Develop contacts and relationships with key journalists, both domestic Chinese and international, relevant to the promotion of WRI’s work.
- Respond to media inquiries and facilitate incoming interview requests;
WRI China Website Maintenance and Online Communications
- Oversee and coordinate with technical support staff to ensure the sound operation of the WRI China website;
- Day-to-day management of the website, including updating China office news and translating and posting items from WRI’s main website (www.wri.org);
- Assess the relevance and potential of communications channels; explore, manage and update social media outlets.
Publication, Quality Control and Translations
- Ensure that WRI China communication materials adhere to WRI’s brand standards and are suited to target audiences;
- Review WRI programmatic materials to ensure that they are written and presented in a way that is consistent with WRI’s quality standards;
- Oversee the development of communication materials, including contracting translators, designers, and printing house, to ensure timely and high-quality production of materials;
- Ensure that WRI has a regularly updated supply of programmatic materials and recent publications;
- Oversee the translation of communication-related materials, such as news releases, fact sheets, publication summaries from Chinese to English, and vice versa;
- Oversee the translation of communication materials, especially from the WRI.org web site and to the WRI China web site;
- Respond to WRI global requests and coordinate with WRI China leadership and program staff for support and information requests;
- Support communication activities for WRI China events and external events, including arranging and sending out media invitations and overseeing the design and production of event materials;
- Liaise with China Advisory Committee members; including working with the China Country Director to organize the CAC annual meeting;
- Liaise with WRI External Relations (in Washington), including participating in planning meetings;
- Support Development Team with communication materials, as needed;
- Provide photo support to China program staff, as needed.
- At least 6 years of professional experience in a marketing and communications field, with strong capability media relationship and external relationship management
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English and Mandarin, with professional experience; Writing and editing experience of PR agency is preferred;
- Strong commitment to and understanding of environmental issues and sustainable development; non-governmental organization (NGO) background is preferable.
- Ability to communicate effectively with various stakeholders, including senior representatives at NGOs, business and government;
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout China and internationally.
- Rich experience of marketing and budgeting management
- Excellent writing and editing skills, in English and Mandarin Chinese
- Strong communication planning skills, including understanding of communication strategies
- Excellent organizational, coordination, and planning skills;
- Experience working with media and understanding of media relations, with media contacts, preferred;
- Understanding of online communications, including writing and developing web content
- Ability to work independently and resolve problems; and
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative work environment.