Job Purpose and Organizational Context
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Team Leader-,Prpgramme for Accelerated Community Development (PACD) t, the Communications Specialist in a PACD Office implements the all PACD communications strategy, designs, manages and facilitates the implementation of the programme communications and publication strategies with a view to influence the development agenda, to promote public and media outreach and to mobilize political and financial support for UNDP and in particular PACD.
The Communications Specialist supervises and leads the communications matter with PACD and has a strong regular working relationship with the other UN and government communication staff. The Communications Specialist also works in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations teams, staff of other UNDP and relevant government officials, international and local media, subject matter experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP /PACD communication strategy implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach
- Planning and elaboration of communications needs assessments for PACD
- Design and or elaboration of the PACD communications and outreach strategy based on the pilot and full scale PACD realities and in line with UNDP External Communications Action Plan.
- Constructive and timely advice on inclusion of communications components in programme and projects formulations to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of UNDP’s development programmes.
- The specialist also support sensitization efforts once the PACD expands to new areas. This should also include how we will communicate to beneficiaries of the project.
Elaboration and implementation of the PACD publications strategy and plan
- Elaboration and implementation of the PACD publications strategy and plan based on the corporate publications policy.
- Identification and development of storylines for publications and substantive articles contributing to debates on key development issues.
- Coordination and management of the PACD publication activities, including content management, norms for publishing, design, liaison with printers and other suppliers to oversee production and supervision of publications dissemination.
Supervises the design and maintenance of the PACD web site, intranet, PACD web-based knowledge management system
- Design of the Programme web sites based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the ICT staff.
- Supervision and preparation of the content for the web sites and social media platforms ensuring consistency of the materials.
Supports the business development
- Creation and promotion of campaigns that position PACD with local and international media and influences the development agenda based on current programme and new initiatives.
- Management, promotion and dissemination of PACD advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications and Report.
- Creation, promotion and maintenance of public information campaigns on issues including PACD activities, in the provision of essential socio-economic infrastructure and services
- Promotional activities to position PACD as an excellent model for development delivery.
- Increased coverage and understanding of the PACD’s work in the country or practice area through development and maintenance of media contacts and providing newsworthy information to national public and donors.
- Formatting, packaging and submission of PACD projects initiatives for donor review in close collaboration with programme and project staff.
- Development and maintenance of close contacts with government officials, multilateral and bilateral donors, civil society and private sector for implementation of the communications strategy, organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, project visits, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc.
- Contributing to a “One UN” image through publicizing the significance PACD’s contribution to the SDGs
- Ensuring access for journalists to subject-matter experts and PACD spokespeople.
- Regular updates to donors, donor reports, civic education and community awareness where appropriate to support projects.
- Effective responses to inquiries for public information materials.
- Innovative and creative solutions to sensitive or corporately strategic public communications issues.
- Advocacy and promotion of PACD mandate, goals and purpose.
Facilitation of knowledge building and management
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to PACD goals and activities.
- Monitor practices, and PACD-specific news and developments in order to ensure guidance to the office that reflects the best and most current available information.
- Provides advice and support to PACD programming and delivery.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including PACD communications repositories.
- Organization and provision of training, consultancy and advice to PACD staff on internal and external communications.
- Effective management of the Communication related issues of PACD
- Effective management of all Communications including preparation of the work-plan, management of translations and contractual matters.
- Master's degree in media relations, journalism, publishing
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy.
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization or funded programme/project is helpful but not mandatory.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English and national language of the duty station. Other official language of the UN will be desirable