The Green Climate Fund (“GCF”) is a new multilateral fund created to make a significant and ambitious contribution to the global efforts towards attaining the goals set by the international community to combat climate change.
GCF will contribute to the achievement of the ultimate objective of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). In the context of sustainable development, GCF will promote the paradigm shift towards low-emission and climate-resilient development pathways by providing support to developing countries to limit or reduce their greenhouse gas emissions and to adapt to the impacts of climate change, taking into account the needs of those developing countries particularly vulnerable to the adverse effects of climate change.
GCF is governed by a Board, composed of an equal representation of developed and developing countries. GCF’s diverse workforce is advancing its mission from its headquarters in the Republic of Korea. Our talented staff make unique contributions to the Fund, enriching the institution through their combined expertise and professional commitment.
The Fund seeks to recruit a Communications Assistant Consultant to join its team at its headquarters in Songdo, Republic of Korea, for a 10-month Period .
- Under the guidance of the Team’s Communications Specialists, the Consultant will be responsible for helping raise GCF’s profile, narrative, and digital presence among GCF Partners, including high-level global leaders, and the public at large.
Duties and responsibilities
- Under the guidance of Head of Communications, the Consultant will be responsible for but not limited to;
- Assist in the development and implementation of communication plans with a focus on external stakeholders and other partners in major policy arenas.
- Work closely with the Communications Specialists to propose, develop, write and produce communication materials such as fact sheets, speeches, social media posts, and videos that showcase GCF’s impact and key messages;
- Write and produce weekly internal and external newsletters using MailChimp and Meltwater;
- Assist in the management of GCF’s digital library;
- Provide support in the coverage of high-level events, including developing PowerPoint presentations, filming talking heads, and doing quick video edits.
Expected experience and qualifications*
- Bachelor’s or Master’s (preferred) level degree in communications, journalism, international relations, finance, economics, sustainable development, environmental science or a related field; or a first-level university degree in the same field, combined with additional qualifying work experience;
- Minimum one year with a master’s level degree or two – three years of work experience with a bachelor’s degree or relevant combination of education and experience on communications-related work;
- Previous experience in a similar role in an international organization highly desired; or similar work in a PR agency, government, private sector or non-profit organization;
- Ability to create creative, targeted communications for external stakeholders, supported by skills in another functional area, such as speechwriting, traditional media relations, messaging, multimedia and digital communications, etc.;
- Must have excellent written, editorial, and analytical abilities coupled with strong organizational and planning skills;
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite applications such as After Effects, Illustrator, and Photoshop a bonus.
- Good political judgement and understanding of multilateral processes and climate finance.
- Able to work independently and efficiently with limited guidance in a deadline-driven environment;
- Strong communication skills, teamwork, collaboration and client relationship skills; and
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are required for this position; knowledge of another UN language an advantage.
- Suitable candidates will be requested to undertake a writing test and will be invited for an interview. The person subsequently assessed by the Selection Panel as most suitable for the position will be proposed for appointment. The above criteria should be seen as indicators of the qualifications, experience and skills that would qualify candidates for consideration. Other combinations of academic qualifications and years of experience may be considered.
- Candidates of all nationalities are welcome to apply. However, the compensation and benefits package for this position will be determined on the basis of a local recruitment.