Human Rights Watch, Paris, France
Closing Date for Applications:
The Communications Division and the Paris Office of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) are seeking a highly motivated candidate to provide support to the two teams. The Associate reports to the France Director, based in Paris. This position is based in Paris and is full-time at 35 hours.
Due to COVID-19, many of HRW's offices are either closed or are open in a limited capacity. Offices will remain closed, or open in an opt-in capacity, for the foreseeable future.
- Assist with promoting HRW's reports and products to the French and Francophone media.
- Support the development of HRW's presence on social media and HRW's social media accounts in French;
- Assist with promoting content in French on social media, maintaining webpages, and sourcing multimedia materials; provide support to multimedia projects;
- Coordinate the logistics and organization of media events such as press conferences and press briefings;
- Support the implementation and development of campaigns, including on social media;
- Maintain and develop extensive media contact databases;
- Proofread, format, and distribute materials; assist with editing contents in French (news releases, op-eds, web and social media contents);
- Assist with the preparation of the French version of HRW's “Daily Brief”;
- Maintain communication among HRW offices, global staff, and external partners;
- Carry out other duties as required.
Education : A bachelor's degree in communications is required. Coursework in international human rights, international relations, social sciences or related studies is desirable.
Experience : A minimum of one years of relevant work experience is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge :
- Creativity, initiative, follow-through, ability to work independently, and excellent organizational skills are required.
- Prior office experience and strong organizational skills are required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in French are required; fluency in English is required.
- The ability to work well under pressure and to manage multiple priorities while working effectively toward deadlines is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to work collaboratively within Human Rights Watch as well as with external partners are required.
- Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required.
- Professional knowledge of the use of social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram & Youtube) is required.
- Proficiency in computer programs including MS Office applications is required. Proficiency using programs such as Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere Pro and Audition are desirable.
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights and / or international issues are highly desirable.