The SDG Lab is a multi-stakeholder initiative that accelerates the implementation of the 2030 Agenda. It enables the diverse ecosystem of SDG actors in Geneva and beyond to contribute towards SDG targets at country level through innovative collaboration, partnerships, methods and models that leverage expertise and knowledge into policy, practice and action.
The SDG Lab creates the opportunity and space for multi-stakeholder groups to innovate and experiment with new approaches, initiatives, and actions that accelerate the implementation of the 2030 Agenda. The Lab does not just catalyze action, it actively supports collaborative efforts in order to increase success rates.
The Communications Officer is responsible for day-to-day updates on Social Media and broader communications channels. He/she works in close collaboration with the entire team on different programmes and projects in Geneva.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
- Working under the supervision of the SDG Lab Communications Adviser, the contractor will perform the following tasks:
- Assist in daily monitoring and updating of the Lab’s social media tools (1. Twitter, 2. Instagram, 3. Facebook):
- Prepare 1 social media update per working day across the Lab’s tools and monitor trends and community engagement levels;
- Review social media packages from the UN Department of Global Communications (DGC) and other UN and Geneva Ecosystem partners and prepare relevant SDG content to promote on the Lab’s social media tools; and
- Attend the meetings of the UN Geneva Media Group (‘MMM’) and Social Media Focal Points and prepare summary notes with follow-up action items.
Assist in updating the SDG Lab web site:
- Research and write 12 web updates over the duration of the contract on the Lab’s activities and post the update, together with relevant assets (e.g. images, videos, links), on the English and French version of the Lab website (where applicable);
- Add events to the website events calendar; and
- Compile monthly web statistics.
Assist in supporting SDG Lab event related communications:
- Assist in preparing the event documentation and materials (e.g. flyer, invitation, list of participants, etc.) in accordance with the Lab’s brand guide and existing templates;
- At events, take photographs and prepare social media content (e.g. tweets, Instagram posts); and
- Support in the set up and tear down of events (e.g. banners, documentation, ushering, etc.)
Assist in supporting SDG Lab outreach activities: The contractor will:
- Assist with the production and dissemination of the SDG Lab News Dispatch (Mailchimp newsletter) and other email communications;
- Attend SDG Lab meetings and prepare notes for the record and disseminate as appropriate; and
- Add business cards to the Lab’s web-based customer-relationship management software.
Monitoring and Project Controls: A work plan will be formulated and agreed between the SDG Lab Communications.
Education:Bachelor’s degree in communications, political affairs or a related field.
- 2 years of experience in a communications, political affairs or a related position.
- Experience working in the United Nations.
- Experience in taking photos and producing short video clips (e.g. Instagram stories).
Desirable: Familiarity with UN systems, tools and procedures.
Language: Fluency in English. Other languages (French, Spanish, Portuguese and Arabic) desirable.
- Experience in using social media tools, MS Office.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to work efficiently under tight deadlines.
- Proven judgment, discretion and diplomacy.
- Ability to work under pressure and obtain results.
- Capacity and willingness to work in a collaborative manner.
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors.