World Food Programme, Indonesia
Closing Date for Applications:
Background and Purpose of the Assignment:
- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) in Indonesia provides policy engagement and technical assistance to Government and other partners in development priorities linked to food security and nutrition. WFP’s Country Strategic Plan 2021-2025 through the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework 2021-2025 is aligned with the national medium-term development agenda and supports the country in its endeavours to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), especially SDG 2 and SDG 17 with an overall focus on Leaving No One Behind. Priority areas are (1) food security and nutrition analysis, (2) supporting the country in being disaster-ready and communities in preparing for natural hazards and adapting to climate change, and (3) improving the nutritional status of the population through healthy diets.
Reporting directly to the WFP Representative/Country Director and with functional support from the WFP Regional Communications Officer, the Communications Officer will have the following responsibilities:
- Implement country specific communications workplans designed to maintain and enhance visibility and reputation of WFP;
- Manage media relations and deepen media engagement to raise WFP brand awareness and draw attention to issues WFP cares about;
- Manage office social media account, developing content, providing day-to-day maintenance, and identifying and working with influencers to enhance WFP’s social media reach;
- Monitor and analyse traditional and social media to keep programme staff and Country Director abreast with key media developments;
- Monitor and manage media/public queries and reputational risk incidents by working closely with Regional Communication Officer;
- Support internal communications ensuring notable development/highlights are shared with the Regional Bureau and Headquarters on a regular basis;
- Work with other United Nations agencies to ensure cohesion and effectiveness of the UN family’s communications work;
- Support partnerships, including assisting in the development and quality assurance of funding proposals, donor visibility, and supporting partnership-building key stakeholders;
- Provide communications support to other units in writing, editing, graphic design, etc.;
- Generate donor specific visibility content including text, photos, videos and graphics in support of fundraising;
- Prepare talking points and draft speeches for the WFP Representative’s participation in launches, discussion panels and media engagement;
- Support the drafting of the monthly WFP Indonesia Country Brief by working closely with subject-matter colleagues;
- Contribute to the preparation of the Annual Country Report as part of the WFP annual reporting exercise;
- Perform other tasks as required.
Required Experience and Knowledge for Entry into the Role:
- At least 5 (five) years of progressively responsible experience of which at least 3 (three) years in the field of mass communication, public information, print and digital media, donor relations or other related field;
- Experience in design and implementing communications strategies or workplans including social media;
- Basic understanding of the 2030 Agenda with its Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
- Experience working within the United Nations or familiarity with the United Nations structure and mechanisms;
- Basic understanding of concepts of food security and nutrition, and policy level advocacy experience are an asset.
Education: Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications or other relevant field.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language and Bahasa Indonesia for written and oral communications.