The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Communications Officer will perform its duties under the direct supervision of Country Director (CD), with functional supervision of the Regional Communications Officer to ensure that the CO Communications activities serve WFP needs in the country of assignment. Taking into consideration the overall regional Communications plans, and WFP corporate communication goals. The job holder will also work in close collaboration with the Deputy Country Director (DCD), reports officer, and other relevant colleagues.
To implement the communications plan by supporting and delivering a range of communications activities, providing research and analysis and prioritizing effectively.
The role will support senior management in communicating, reporting, and external relations related to WFP activities. The Communications Officer will perform duties related to Operational Information Management (OIM) and Performance Reporting (PR), including: contributing to the presentation of a standard and consistent operating picture of WFP operations; supporting effective management of relationships and collaboration with external partners; and ensuring a flow of relevant information between WFP and partners that facilitates timely decision-making at all levels.
The Communications Officer will also provide specialized Communications services that support the implementation of WFP Philippines Country Strategic Plan (CSP) 2018 -2023, by creating content and providing services aimed at maintaining and enhancing WFP’s visibility and reputation and supporting fundraising activities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (not all-inclusive, within delegated authority):
Partnerships and Resource Mobilization
- Develop, maintain and update an appropriate strategy and work plan for assigned area, which implements relevant corporate and country office (CO) strategies in order to maintain and enhance the visibility and reputation of WFP, and support fundraising activities.
- Prepare and provide regular information to educate new and potential partners on the WFP CSP, including development and distribution of communication materials and advocacy briefs for CD/DCD.
- Support the development and quality assurance of funding proposals, and contribute to establishing new partnerships, to enhance WFP’s programme implementation and reputation in the areas of nutrition, school feeding, vulnerability analysis and mapping, emergency response, food security and agriculture.
- Support the building and maintenance of effective relationships with the line ministries of the host government, donors, United Nations agencies, non-government organizations, and other partners, attending meetings where required.
- Work closely with Monitoring and Evaluation Unit to ccollate and analyze data for the preparation of accurate and timely reporting to donors and MoH, enabling informed decision-making and action planning by senior stakeholders.
- Support the preparation of the Standard Project Reports (SPR) for the Annual Reporting Exercise in collaboration with the relevant units (Nutrition, M&E, Logistics, Pipeline/Resource Management) to ensure coherence and quality of performance information.
- Support the enhancement of the capacity of relevant WFP staff on Communications and reporting, to effectively manage information and ensure that standard OIM & PR procedures and templates are followed to drive the quality, consistency and standardization of information management and performance reporting in the CO.
- Coordinate work with other WFP units to ensure that donor conditions are able to be met – particularly regarding outcome reporting, and established visibility and Communications plans.
- Collate relevant information and data from media and local internal and external sources to facilitate and maximize the exchange of information and data flow, to provide operational awareness and understanding of events that may have humanitarian and/or operational impact. Collaborate with counterparts internally and with other UN agencies to ensure consistency in humanitarian information and to complement WFP analysis and information.
- Contribute to Communications through good research, analysis of assigned area of work and timely preparation and distribution of information products to target audience(s).
- Guide and supervise more junior staff as required, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Perform specialized Communications processes and activities, including but not limited to supporting the development of a communication strategy, creating content using storytelling to disseminate WFP’s work in the country, drafting and seeking management approval for press releases and media advisories, and leading activities with WFP celebrity Ambassadors.
- Conduct research, suggest ideas, and provide coordination to ensure the timely and effective delivery of video/film, photographic, infographics, radio spots, and other Communications projects. Manage the storage and distribution of audio/visual materials in accordance with relevant policies.
- Serve as an information focal point and coordinate media coverage of events to optimize publicity of WFP’s activities.
- Organize and execute special events, working closely with colleagues, external partners and media, including but not limited to donor events, programmatic workshops and seminars, and annual children’s competition.
- Assist in the organization of media and donor visits to WFP operations.
- Monitor traditional and social media, reporting relevant information to senior staff to inform the development and/or evaluation of Communications activities and strategies.
- Prepare content for use on traditional and social media platforms and networks, and printed materials, to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
- Coordinate the translation of communication products to and from Filipino to English, as needed.
- Distribute Communications guidelines for WFP staff. Provide Communications training if relevant.
- Ensure information is accurate, organized and available for others to access.
- Respond to specialized queries by, and maintain positive relationships with, internal and external stakeholders, providing a timely, aligned, and coherent service.
- Implement improvements to Communications methods and practices, to contribute to a better flow of information about WFP’s work to the media and stakeholders.
- Develop and coordinate emergency visibility following corporate standards
- Update WFP Philippines country page
- Represent WFP at the UN Country Communications Group in the Philippines
- Perform any other related duties as required.
Education: Advanced University degree in Political Science, International Development, Development Economics, Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Social Sciences, Communications or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- At least 5 years of professional experience (with Master’s degree) or 7 years of relevant experience (with Bachelor’s degree) and exposure to communication strategies and responsibilities in international organizations
- 5 years or more of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience in Communications and/or donor relations/reporting, with a background and interest in international humanitarian development.
- Experience of managing and building capacity of staff with related areas of expertise. Ability to lead, coach and motivate junior and/or less experienced staff members.
- Experience in Southeast Asia or South Asia is desirable
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of information management best practices, techniques and processes, and ability to analyse and interpret diverse information, and draw out the key messages.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly articulate insights to stakeholders, persuade, influence and adapt communication style to different situations and individuals.
- Knowledge of common business principles and processes and the ability to quickly assimilate UN/WFP specific processes and systems. Experience in the UN desirable
- Proficiency in the use of Adobe software (Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, and InDesign)
Languages: Excellent written and oral communications skills in both English and Filipino