Communications & Press Officer
SEARCH FOR COMMON GROUND, Brussels, Belgium
Closing Date for Applications:
Search for Common Ground (Search) is one of the largest dedicated peacebuilding NGOs, working to transform conflicts in over 30 countries across the globe. Search’s Europe office is located in Brussels, Belgium, where policies and decisions are taken about Europe’s response to the world’s conflicts. As our organisation is growing in Europe and exploring new scopes of work towards European policy-makers, there are also enormous opportunities for raising more awareness, trust, relevance and influence for Search in Europe.
- Pursue the effort to secure placements of Search-related content (stories, op-eds, opinions) in media consumed by target audiences
- Leads community Mobilization of Search’s social media towards a European audience, ensuring a strong, relevant and sharp presence on social media for Search and key public figures in Europe
- Creates and sustains a network of press and media contacts and acts as point person for media
- Supports outreach and representation efforts, including ensuring Search’s participation in prominent European peacebuilding events, creating content building on Search’s work across the world, attending and representing Search at external events and meetings
- Creates, implements and leverages a publicity plan for Search for Common Ground - Europe, with support from the Marketing & Communications Department (US)..
- Contributes to the design of and pursues a media strategy, (i.e. including featuring Search at least 10 times & publishing 5 opinion pieces in strategic European print/broadcast media for 2021)
- Manages the social media accounts (Twitter) of Search Europe and ensures active and relevant online presence of Search and main public figures of the organisation
- Manages relationships with media and press: prepares press releases, briefings, acts as focal point for the media, develops and nurtures a network of journalists covering topics pertinent to Search’s mission and geographical scope
- Helps prepare Search staff for public speaking events: helps rehearse before public speaking, contributes to speaking points, provides basic guidance on public speaking
- Secures participation of Search and Search staff from across the world in relevant Development, Peacebuilding events in Europe, including high-level events.
- Other duties that are broadly in line with the above key contributions as assigned.
Competency Behavior Indicators (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Initiates brainstorming or problem-solving meetings. With time in job, develops skills for analyzing and communicating program successes and failures; reports lessons learned to the team and other members.
- Represents Search at local and international events and meetings for professional organizations, vendors, partners, and funders. Develops skills to independently initiate and maintain relations with vendors, partners, and funders. Articulates Search program/project goals and objectives within Search and to external audiences.
- Demonstrates appreciation for diversity of thought. Builds cross-functional relationships with other functional departments.
- Demonstrates ability to be adaptable and willing to confront and change own ideas and preconceptions with the resiliency and flexibility to make changes based on hearing a diversity of thoughts.
- Drafts team documents, briefing materials, and presentations. Articulates program/project objectives and how they fit into a team’s goals and/or Search’s mission and adapts to the communications setting.
- Applies standards, identifies areas for standardization, and coordinates across functions from a multicultural perspective that reflects consideration of other cultures, other viewpoints, and other ways of doing things.
- Takes into account the environmental landscape, assesses one's own and others' viewpoints in their environment, and proposes solutions from an ethical perspective.
- Recognizes the options available for solving problems, conducts analyses, and calculates metrics and other technical tools to support informed decision making.
- Conducts Quality Control of team documents, briefing materials, presentations, and systems data. Carefully reviews and checks the accuracy of information in work reports, management information systems, or with other individuals and groups. Checks the accuracy of one’s own and others’ work. Proactively informs management of potential risks and concerns; suggests resolutions.
- Independently prioritizes time to reach deadlines and reaches end results of assignments with ability to accomplish multiple steps with limited to no supervision.
Type and Nature of Contacts
- Routinely coordinates with colleagues and consultants on-site and in the field and resolves problem situations with tact.
- Represents, as assigned, selected programs or projects and other organizations, including donors, vendors, and international and local partners.
- Interacts with US office, country office and regional staff.
Education and Experience
- Typically BS/BA Media, Journalism, Communications, Political Sciences, European studies or related studies with minimum 6 years experience with 3 years Communications, Media and/or Journalism .
- English fluency; knowledge of French preferable; German or Dutch a strong added advantage;
- Extensive network with media outlets in at least 2 of the following European countries: UK, Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, Belgium, and/or Euro-media (Brussels);
- Possesses excellent contacts in European top tier target media (BBC, Financial Times, Politico Europe, Euractiv, Le Monde, France 24, Frankfurter Allgemeine, France 24, etc.) and has a track record booking spokespeople on high profile news shows;
- Demonstrated experience in communications towards European policy makers and opinion-makers;
- Experience in peacebuilding / NGO prefered.