Communications Team Leader
DRC, Mogadishu, Somalia
Closing Date for Applications:
- DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
- Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
- The Communications Team Leader is fully responsible to ensure that all information and data from the field is captured, documented, analyzed packaged in an appealing form and disseminated in a timely manner to external audiences and internal purposes to DRC/DDG Somalia staff. The Team Leader is responsible to develop communication materials on DRC/DDG activities in Somalia and hosting such material in media platforms for consumption by external publics. In addition, the position holder will shape the emerging work in advocacy by contributing to the design and implementation of an advocacy plan tied to key agenda and themes identified. S/he leads in developing and implementing a country communications strategies. S/he is in charge of ensuring visibility materials developed by implementing teams meet DRC/DDG standards and that all communication materials going out to external audiences meet the requisite DRC/DDG branding standards. S/he leads in the development of communications plans for projects and other program initiatives that require such support.
- Ensure effective communications, visibility and knowledge management within DRC/DDG Somalia and to external audiences.
- Maintain updated project-wise fact sheets for DRC and DDG and consolidated country-level fact sheets for both brands.
- Support program staff with appropriate communication and visibility materials as part of the organizing and managing of seminars, workshops, RO visits and donor field visits.
- Develop, implement and monitor a communication and visibility plan to facilitate better understanding among partners, donors, beneficiaries and host communities, media, the general public and government about DRC as an organization and program progress.
- Ensure visibility as per donor and DRC/DDG requirements in all project sites
- Undertake field visits to gather the information and results related to the program.
- Capture (through written, audio and visual methods) all key programmatic issues, events and developments of DRC/DDG work in Somalia.
- Develop a robust and interactive social media campaign showcasing DRC’s work and its engagement with all key donors.
- Ensure that DRC/DDG’s branding strategy is in place and all key staff involved in generating communication items are well versed with the strategy and complying with its requirements.
- Develop visibility material such as DRC/DDG leaflets, success stories, photographs, video clips and share stories with DRC Somalia for special events.
- Develop program summaries and fact sheets for all projects
- Prepare press briefings and releases as needed, in close consultation with the Country Director
- Develop communication guidelines and standards in compliance with the Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS) and ensure adherence to the same in all external communications
- Organize communication training forums and play a key role in coaching and mentoring expat staff and national staff in communications processes.
- Prepare monthly reports and summaries for the management on country media activities.
- Provide support for graphic design of key business development products such as capacity statements and proposals.
- Ensure that communication documents/materials are archived appropriately in an easily retrievable electronic based filing system, including the DRC/DDG websites where appropriate.
- Develop and implement DRC country communication processes including updating websites, developing newsletters, success stories for use on DRC/DDG proposals and pre-positioning strategies.
- Develop/Maintain a resource centre for the Somalia program (in Mogadishu) from which staff can access programming and communications prototype materials, as needed.
- Facilitate staffing within the communications unit.
- Ensure that all staff understand and are able to perform their roles in the country program.
- Incorporate staff development strategies and performance management systems into team building process. Establish a result based system and follow up.
- Manage the performance of relevant staff.
Education, experience & technical competencies
- 5 years’ experience in communication and diffusion strategies and techniques, reporting, documentation, publications, and audio-visual material preparation in relation to relief, recovery and development fields
- Have knowledge of relevant thematic areas (protection/human rights, safety, conflict management, governance, shelter, WASH, food security and livelihoods, durable solutions, migration, among others).
- Possess excellent writing, editing, and articulate oral communication skills in English.
- Proven results working with the latest electronic publishing and graphics software.
- Confident and articulate in spoken English presenting topical issues before large audiences
- Savvy in the use of social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram etc.
- Demonstrate a high level of motivation and good communication, social, and interpersonal skills
- Well versed in desktop publishing including the latest effective presentation packages
- Have demonstrated ability or experience in finding new creative media angles and new platforms to present communications work.
- Excellent understanding and experience in developing and utilization of all the key social media platforms and emerging ones
- Significant relevant field experience is an added advantage, especially in Somalia or similar contexts.