Internews Europe, London, United Kingdom
Closing Date for Applications:
This exciting opportunity has arisen at Internews’ young department of Grants, Contracts and Compliance. Compliance Officer will have the overall responsibility of ensuring contractual and regulatory compliance of awards contracted to Internews Europe. With direct report to the Head of London’s Grants, Contracts and Compliance (GC&C), s/he will work closely with the five regional Program Management Units (PMUs) to ensure that all project offices receive seamless and rigorous contract management support, irrespective of source funding and form of donor contract .
Compliance Officer will have a deep understanding of the rules and regulations of major European donors. S/he will lead on the design and implementation of initiatives to further develop compliance expertise of all IEU’s project teams and HQ-based staff. S/he will oversee the compliance management through all steps in the programme management cycle. Her/his role will be pivotal for building and maintaining the culture in which employees are expected to do the right thing - not the fast thing.
- Reports to Head of GC&C on matters of donor compliance and quality assurance required for Internews Europe’s offices in London and Paris;
- Acts as the central authority for all IEU donor rules and regulations, advises project leads to ensure that all projects operate in compliant fashion and that all relevant teams have sufficient training and development in applicable contracting and compliance practice. Provides regular training on donor and statutory regulations to HQ and field staff.
- Reviews and analyses incoming awards from donors, interpreting, clarifying and specifying terms and conditions; and develops systems and processes to ensure compliance with and consistent application of donor rules and regulations.
- Manages all Collaborative Agreements and other contractual engagements with our Alliance partner - Internews Network (IUS).
- Works with the Head of GC&C, regional Programme Officers and project teams on effective operational start-up of new projects, including compliance reviews, correct adaptation of standard operating procedures, provision of correct templates, procedures and guidance/advice to programme teams. Field visits where possible and necessary.
- Monitors, researches and responds to donor and statutory requirements as they related to contractual compliance, risk management, and data transparency.
- Works closely with the Internal Audits Manager to develop and implement effective internal compliance audits.
- Prepares formal contract amendment requests to donors. Seeks necessary inputs from programme and finance staff.
- Advises staff on donor requirements for procurements during the preparation of procurement documents and throughout the process. Controls the maintenance of internal records for all procurements.
- Leads on the development of project procurement plans to ensure internal and donor compliance. Socialises plans with responsible staff.
- Leads on the design and administration of large procurements of goods and services. Negotiates terms and conditions with vendors.
- Continuously reviews IEU’s policies and procedures to ensure they are up to date with best industry practices.
- Advises development colleagues and PMUs on key considerations relating to donor compliance.
- Reviews narrative and budget proposals to prospective donors ensuring accurate, complete, and consistent submissions; compliance to donor requirements; appropriateness and sufficiency of budgets.
- Actively contributes to corporate level risk management; monitoring and mitigation.
- Other responsibilities at the GC&C as assigned by the Head of GC&C.
Essential Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- BA degree in a relevant field or an equivalent in work experience in an international development environment.
- Deep expertise in rules, regulations and requirements of major European donors as applicable to international development context. Experience of compliance-managing awards from the European Commission, SIDA, NORAD, and FCDO.
- Experience in staff training, both face-to-face and remote.
- Experience in procurement management under awards from major European donors, particularly European Commission and FCDO.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Microsoft Office user, with advanced Excel skills.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Solution driven.
- Effective communication skills; verbal and written.
- Experience of undertaking internal audit and compliance checks.