Compliance & Risk Manager
Norwegian Refugee Council, Amman, Jordan
Closing Date for Applications:
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 9000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Duties and responsibilities
Compliance and Quality Assurance
- Ensure monthly compliance with Security Supporting Documentation (SSD) requirements.
- Lead on completion of Backlog Project.
- Coordinate the tasks associated to SSD in case of office closure or cease of operations.
- In collaboration with programme and support staff, ensure a standard filing and referencing system is in place, which ensures that complete documentation exists for all transactions.
- Lead on the implementation of monthly spot-checks on Compliance requirements, field visits and in-depth reviews.
- Ensure Country Office Recommendation Tracker is updated at all times and coordinate with Action Responsible on the timely completion of the recommendations.
- Give feedback on developed SOPs (on Programme and Support functions) to ensure they are in line with NRC procedures.
- Ensure that annual self-assessment forms are correctly filled and submitted to HO and gaps identified are follow up so that there is a clear improvement year on year.
- Facilitate the quarterly reporting process (T reports) to ensure that relevant staff are engaged in the process.
- Monitor compliance in the implementation of NRC’s policies, procedures, and controls through regular spot checks, field visits, and in-depth interviews and influence for improvements in accordance with NRC's operational standards as expressed in the various policy documents, handbooks and other guidelines.
- Ensure Box Library documentation and Filing Tree structure is updated, in collaboration with ICT department.
- Lead the training, support, and compliance monitoring of the implementation of the Data Protection Policy and procedures in Country and Area Offices.
- Support to programme and finance teams to prepare for audits.
- Actively coordinate with Managers on the preparation and implementation of donor audits.
- Focal point for the implementation of Internal Audit and follow up of Internal Audit Recommendations.
- Develop action plans to implement recommendations made in internal and external audits and evaluations. Provide support and follow up on the implementation of the action plans.
- Help facilitate the global risk management process at AO and CO levels.
- Develop and update the corruption risk mapping on quarterly basis for Area Offices and Country Office.
- Prepare internal audit reports for each field area visit for submission to the CMG and ensure follow up/implementation of recommendations given.
- In collaboration with Regional Specialist and Advisors, support the Country and Area Offices to understand and comply with legal regulations.
- Work closely with the Head of Support to update the Provision Tracker on Quarterly basis and identify evidences to support the inclusion (or removal) or Provisions.
- Contribute to the development of adequate compliance and quality control mechanisms of NRC operations particularly regarding sanctions and counter-terrorism legislation
Anti-Corruption and Investigations
- Conduct regular Anti-corruption training sessions and fraud detection and reporting among Country and Area Office staff, and partner staff.
- Consolidate and follow up on the completion of the recommendations arising from Investigations.
- On a case by case basis, the Compliance and Risk Manager may be required to support on investigations, upon agreement between CD/HoS and Regional Investigations Specialist.
- Bachelor' degree in relevant university field (economics, public administration and similar).
- Preferably Internal Audit or Quality Assurance qualification.
- Minimum 3-5 years' experience working as an auditor/ compliance role, preferably including experience in an internal audit function and in the NGO sector.
- Experience from working in a similar role in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Full proficiency in spoken and written Arabic and English
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position's responsibilities
Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
- Contract period: till 31st December 2020 with possibility of extension subject to funding
- Duty Station: This position will be based in SRO office Amman
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
- For more information, please see attached Job Description