Consortium Manager-Safety Net & ECHO Cash
Danish Refugee Council, Mogadishu, Somalia
Closing Date for Applications:
- The DRC/DDG Somalia Programme is the largest programmes in East Africa region and has been providing relief and development services since 1997. DRC/DDG is among the INGOs with the largest presence in Somalia, with country-wide programmes implemented through six main sub offices in Somaliland, Puntland, Hiran Region, Gedo Region, Bay Region and Banadir Region. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
- Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
- Overall Purpose of the role
- The Consortium Manager will be responsible for providing leadership of DRC Somalia safety Net & Cash programs in close coordination with the DRC Head of Programs, government, Cash consortium, donors and safety working groups. S/h ensure planning and delivery of all components of DRC Somalia Safety Net & Cash programs funded by EU, ECHO & WFP safety net and facilitate a coherent approach to DRC Somalia overall response. S/he will ensure coordination of the Safety Net & Cash effectively to deliver the commitments of the consortium in an efficient, effective and economical manner. S/he is expected to contribute to the strategic thinking, planning, and overall coordination efforts of the Safety Nets programming. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that a drive for quality and innovative practice is embedded in the day-to-day implementation of the safety Net and Cash programing, overseeing the staff matters on implementation. You will report to Head of Programs and will line manage Programme Assistants and work closely with Technical teams, Finance, M&E Focal Points of Consortium Members, Consortium PMG; Deputy Country Director & Country Director and other involved staff.
Program development and delivery:
- Responsible for Safety Net & ECHO Cash programming at DRC Somalia and close monitoring of implementation of projects and ensuring projects are being implemented in a timely and quality manner.
- Coordinate implementation of all safety net projects monitor budgets in coordination with area Program Managers to ensure there is no overspending or underspending.
- Responsible for quality implementation of all safety net & Cash Programmes.
- Develop and maintain appropriate communication with the teams and other relevant stakeholders.
- Proactively network with food security & Cash consortium agencies to identify opportunities to collaborate.
- Ensure clear internal coordination within the project teams and other support teams (Logistics, Human Resources, Finance, Base).
- Provide updates during various meetings such as advisor’s and management, or any other ad hoc meetings.
- Manage Safety Net activities, alongside the relevant field PM and PC, in order to meet the project objectives within budget and allotted time frame.
- Lead the development and implementation of Safety Net strategy in collaboration with food security and HOP.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to applicable timeframes and formats.
- Leading Safety Net and Cash program budget preparations, reviews Planning, and monitoring as per standards.
- Developing and managing internal and donor-level Safety net & Cash reporting
- Ensure compliance and adherence to DRC Programme policies, tools and handbooks
- Ensure activities are carried out in accordance with agreed consortium standards and timelines, as well as the Sphere Minimum Standards, DRC specific standards and Humanitarian Charter in disaster response.
- Lead the development of program and project improvement plans, to ensure effective and timely implementation of the projects and Program.
- Ensures the delivery of a Safety Net & Cash Program with demonstrable impact and is accountable for ensuring that the Program meets overall Program quality and learning standards
- Manages and is accountable for Program budget including responding to high level management and variance reports
- Ensure that DRC programs are following donor contractual obligations and that all reporting is of good quality and is done in a timely manner.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Support in developing and implementing the project monitoring and evaluation plan, and timely submission of reports and other document requirements.
- Provide feedback on project implementation modality and assist in achieving maximum efficiency in project delivery.
- Support the teams in undertaking regular participatory monitoring and verification visits to ensure adequate progress against action plans, outputs and ensuring that quality elements are signed off. Provide advice on any corrective action necessary
Fund rising, Reporting & strategic development
- Support the senior management in the efforts on identifying relevant funding opportunities for Safety Net and Cash, executing and monitoring cultivation and influencing plans for relevant donors
- Provide regular updates to consortium and other donors
- Lead the development of interventions and new proposals, linked to the assessed needs and gaps.
- Support the consortium on development and dissemination of learning, communication and advocacy initiatives.
- Lead the development and execution of reports and presentations on safety net and Cas issues.
- Consolidating Program reports and providing high level strategic analysis of Program impact
- Prepare Monthly and yearly work plans
- Monthly, quarterly, six monthly reports, including reports on implementation.
- Progress, constraints and opportunities as per DRC and donor requirements
- Closely monitor the budget spending against forecast/work plan, conduct monthly Budget monitoring meetings in coordination with Finance, Area Managers and respective Program staff prepare the minutes and actions points and share with HoP/HoSS and CD. Any deviations in the financial spending to be raised to the Area Manager and HoP/HoSS.
- In Coordination with HR department closely follow the HR recruitment plan.
- In Coordination with SC staff closely follow up on procurements are to ensure the procurements are done as per the set timelines.
Coordination & Representations
- Establish, maintain and coordinate successful relationships with numerous stakeholders and actors (UN, NGOs) intervening in a similar sector.
- Represent DRC at Cash Consortium & technical coordination and working-group meetings
- DRC Cash Consortium PMG representative.
- Attend Safety net & Cash advocacy and communication meetings.
- Work with WFP Safety Net in Mogadishu and ensure safety of Mogadishu is coordinated well with WFP.
- Work with government on all matters related to Safety Net & Cash programming
People development and management
- Daily supervision and monitoring of EU- ILed Project assistants/officers & Project coordinator for WFP Safety Net
- Supervise and mentor staff for smooth implementation of the program.
- Praise, guide, control and provide disciplinary measures for staff as appropriate.
- Lead staff recruitment process for safety net and Cash Programing
- Performance appraises staff annually as per DRC HR guidelines.
- Assess the training needs of staff and share with HR.
- Train and orient Project staff on program hand book and other project guidelines.
- Organize regular staff meetings, experience sharing, making sure they are participatory and end up with agreed action points on the program way forward.
- Experience, Education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Experience: - 7-8 years' experience in Humanitarian with progressive hands on experience of program management, setting up monitoring and evaluation plans, report writing, coordination, designing, learning and knowledge management.
- Experience in budget monitoring and working knowledge of Excel sheets.
- Master's Degree in International Relations, community Development or related field from an accredited academic institution Strong hands-on experience of managing safety & security in a high intensity conflict zone.
- Experience in working with ERP systems
- Experience working in Somalia or similar remote-management context, ideally applying mobile cash-based delivery
- Highly self-driven while striving for perfection under minimum supervision.
- Experience working in emergency response with NGOs, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Strong coordination/negotiation skills specifically with the ability to effectively coordinate among consortium members and actively contribute to creating a high-paced, flexible, team- oriented culture
- Good IT skills (especially MS Office).
- To be successful in this role we expect you to demonstrate your leadership and capacity for this position which is key for timely and qualitative aid delivery.
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English