This role entails supporting the WHO Academy Team to develop, test and implement the Learning Experience Platform. Tasked with overseeing the creation of the platform and act as solution architect in providing support to the entire Learning Experience Platform.
- The WHO Academy is a priority special initiative of the WHO transformation agenda and will support accelerated learning and capacity building towards achievement of the 13th General Programme of Work targets. The WHO Academy has been co-designed by WHO in collaboration with France between February and June 2019 with the development of a business case outlining the WHO Academy’s technical, organizational, external, sustainable self-financing cost-recovery business model, communications and risk management approach.
- The Academy aims to reach 10 million people by 2023 with innovative learning via a state-of-the-art digital learning experience platform at a campus in Lyon and embedded in the six WHO regions. The WHO Academy Lyon hub will feature high-tech learning environments, a world-class health emergency simulation centre and collaboration spaces for learning co-design, research and innovation. On 11 June 2019 the President of France and the Director-General of WHO signed a Declaration of Intent to establish the WHO Academy that will revolutionize lifelong learning in health.
- The Academy will bring together adult learning science, behavioural science and cutting-edge learning technologies such as artificial intelligence and virtual reality with WHO’s norms, standards and evidence to deliver high-impact accredited and tailored multilingual learning to meet diverse needs. The Academy will be open to a wide range of multisectoral stakeholders that can influence health, including leaders, educators, researchers, health workers, WHO staff and the broader public. It will be run as an internal WHO Division, and the Organization will ensure strong coordination and collaboration with all WHO Member States, thereby optimizing the learning assistance provided to all. The Academy will also harness the strength of the WHO’s partnerships, experts, collaborating centres and networks.
- The overall goal is to support the learning and development needs of WHO staff and stakeholders to progress towards WHO’s “triple billion” goal: ensuring that by 2023, an additional 1 billion people benefit from universal health coverage; 1 billion more are afforded better protection in health emergencies, and 1 billion more enjoy improved health and wellbeing.
Work to be performed
- Identifying Technical requirements on the project.
- Designing the entire system based on the identified requirements.
- Choosing the system architecture and each individual component of this system at a high level.
- Choosing the technologies for the implementation of each component and connections between the components.
- Architectural review.
- Writing project documentation and its support.
- Creating unified development standards in the company.
- Controlling the architecture during the next iteration of the system release.
- Guide delivery programs with one or more business applications which will be drivers for the emerging delivery infrastructure and API platforms.
- Strategize with subject matter experts on creating and combining elements of a platform, and ensure delivery against it.
- Engaging with technical and business stakeholders to understand needs, prioritize the delivery approach, and guide technical leads in solution delivery.
- Evangelize business benefits and impact of the platform as well as the value of modern delivery and engineering practices.
- Support product manager in developing technology roadmaps, including effectively evaluating build/rent/buy decisions.
- Perform account management activities, such as delivery assurance and helping shape new engagements.
Output 1: Create the Platform Architecture by:
- In 1st phase 100% contribution as Platform Architect in building the first level Learning experience platform Prototypes for the WHO Academy.
- Working with the process owner, subject matter experts and others as necessary to determine the as-is and to-be state of specific technical requirements.
- Create multiple architectural layers, data, integration etc. to establish an overall Platform for learning.
- Coordinate walk-through and sign-offs, verifying with stakeholders that process models accurately depict the business practices and needs.
- Architectural leadership in the resolutions of inter-program and inter-project issues
- Update and maintenance of the key platform Architecture deliverables.
- Technical documentation for service transition for support and maintenance of new software products.
- Data flow and architecture work flow designs and development
- Setting up the different technical layer to support the development of the learning platform.
Output 2: Act as full stack developer and provide support to lead developer in product development.
In 2nd phase 50% contribution as an Architect and 50% as a Full Stack Developer.
- Support development lead in code reviews and technical discussions.
- Develop different technical component of the learning system and take ownership of one developed component.
- Qualifications, experience, skills and languages
Essential: First-level university degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related discipline.
Desirable: Post-graduate degree in computer science or similar
Essential: At least five (5) years of professional experience as a Solution, platform architect or Back end Engineer, including:
- Experience building products with an agile/lean approach and data democratization.
- Experience in enterprise architecture design and implementation and loud service offerings.
Desirable: Demonstrated professional experience working with medium to large scale systems in a global or international context.
Skills / Knowledge:
Essential: Basic understanding of the following areas:
- Public cloud service offerings (e.g. IaaS, PaaS, DBaaS services as well high-level product offerings such, as AWS Sagemaker, Cognito, GuardDuty)
- Infrastructure as Software (e.g. Container Orchestration, Observability, CI/CD)
- Modern security practices
- Modern API platform design
- Modern data architectures (e.g. event driven architectures, data democratization, platform approaches to support ML/AI at scale, stream processing, and integrating real time analytics into customer applications
- Prior experience with stream processing systems, like Kinesis or Kafka
- Prior experience with developing frontend and backend Technologies.
- Prior experience in the Learning domain
- Languages and level required
- Expert knowledge in spoken and written English
- Knowledge in spoken and written French desirable
The consultant will work on site in Lyon, France (with an initial onboarding period in WHO HQ, Geneva, Switzerland). All work is to be performed on site, unless specifically authorized by a supervisor.
- Consultant may be required to travel between Lyon and Geneva.
- If travel is involved, a medical certificate of fitness for work will be required.
- Payband level - Young Professional level
- Work schedule and Duration of contract: This assignment is intended to be a work effort of 100% for six months. There may be further requirements of up to one year depending on additional deliverables, organizational needs and performance. There is no guarantee of continued and/or ongoing employment with WHO in any capacity following the end of this contract.