UNDP strives to have a workforce which reflects diversity and gender balance and applies an equal opportunities approach. All selection is on merit.
UNDP has been in India since 1951 in almost all areas of human development, from systems and institutional strengthening to inclusive growth and sustainable livelihoods, as well as sustainable energy, environment and resilience. UNDP’s programmes are designed to integrate a global vision for catalytic change with India’s national priorities. UNDP India in collaboration with Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS), Bhubaneswar have designed a project on Career Guidance and Career Counselling (CGCC).
It has been well recognized globally that skill development and entrepreneurship acts as key drivers in accelerating economic growth of a nation by promoting livelihood opportunities. The Government of India has laid a huge impetus on both, especially amongst the youth through various skill development and enterprise generation schemes. The above issue for livelihoods holds more significance in view of tribal communities, constituting 8.6 % of India’s population with low human development indices, plagued with low handholding, unfertilized land, low productivity and limited reach of the development programs. Skilling for employability, therefore, becomes critical, for the tribal youth facing diverse and distinct socio-economic needs. Given the need to bridge the skill gaps and the geographical dispersion of the tribal, it is important to use innovative technological solutions.
United Nations Development Program and Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences have partnered to expand skilling and entrepreneurship opportunities for Tribal Youth in Odisha. The partnership intends to align the aspirations of tribal youth and competencies by increasing access to quality, market relevant and area specific training programs for the tribal youth. A technology-enabled blending skilling model is being developed and will be implemented through establishment of Center for Excellence on Skills and Entrepreneurship within the KISS campus and district level incubation laboratories.
In order to address the above, the project includes key components on livelihoods that aim to:
- Develop scalable and replicable models of skilling and career counselling for tribal youth, by maximizing the potential of technological penetration in remote tribal areas.
- Customized, context specific and market linked skilling modules that fulfills the aspiration of the current generation of tribal youth along with meeting the industry demand.
- Engaging local industries and enterprises to provide on-the-job practical training to local youth
- Creating support for placement and entrepreneurship through systematic career assessment and counselling, mentoring and handholding.
The above activities intend to support Tribal Youths through access to social entitlements, improved livelihood capabilities, improved incomes, and capacity to build the through career guidance and career counselling. These interventions would be built around strengthening institutions and entitlements. By empowering the youths through alternative livelihood options and more institutionalized benefits, the project will not only strengthen the improved social conditions envisaged from them in the larger partnership, but also enable improved livelihood generation possibilities and income enhancement.
To achieve the components of the project, UNDP is seeking to hire a consultant to carry out a baseline cum value chain study of the products KISS in the campus and off campus as well as identify other potential products that can be introduced. The objective is to gather relevant data for key project indicators: determine the socio-economic status of the youth in KISS, identify their skill set and entrepreneurial mind set, and map the existing vocational trainings at the institute, its value chain and scope study.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities: Working under the supervision of Adviser, KIIT & KISS and State Head, UNDP (Odisha), the scope of work expected from the Consultant-Scope/Value Chain is outlined below:
Background Research (secondary) –
- Conducting secondary research on skill and entrepreneurship management, socio-economic conditions of tribal youth, reports and secondary data available. The background research will be considering all the projects and programmes run by KISS in BBSR as well as in the districts.
Conduct Primary Research
- Design of Survey – inclusive of
- To determine the demographic status of tribal youth
- To determine their household income status and aspirations
- To determine engagement in entrepreneurial activities
- To determine the Scope study of Vocational activities at Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS)
- To obtain the Value chain of the Skill and Vocational activities at KISS and to determine their level of intervention.
- To determine the challenges and expectations of the youth for mainstreaming via skill and entrepreneurial activities from policy makers/ government bodies.
- To determine the challenges and expectations of the institute in Skill, vocational and entrepreneurial environment.
- To determine the status of relevant SDG indicators that are SDG 1, SDG 2, SDG 5, SDG 8, SDG 9, SDG 10 and SDG 11
- To determine the existing skill, vocational activities and entrepreneurial ecosystem in state.
- To obtain a qualitative and quantitative understanding of the scenario for the institute on skilling and entrepreneurship.
- To map the existing and future demand on skill, vocational training and entrepreneurship.
- Sample Selection – Selection of appropriate sample size and location and finalization of survey methodology
- Compilation of Collected Data – Overseeing and supervising the collection of data by field staff. (Field Staff for collection of data would be engaged by KISS or UNDP on mutual understanding). Compilation of data collected.
- Cleaning of data – Cleaning of the data compiled to standardize it for relevant data analysis.
- Data Analysis – Analysis of data using relevant tools.
- Interim Reports – Preparation of interim reports based on preliminary findings.
- Draft Reports -Preparation and presentation of findings
- Final Report- incorporating feedback and final presentation.
Deliverables and Payment percentage:
- Inception report clearly highlighting the methodology and timeline to be used – 20 %
- Facilitation and conducting of meeting with KISS Vocational Training as well as DDU-GYK team; presentation of the draft and final finding of the study with KISS and UNDP teams.- 40%
- Final Report of the scoping study and the potential value chains.- 20%
- Drafting of atleast three project proposal for enhancing value chain. -20%
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Knowledge about India’s development administration systems.
- First-hand exposure to central or state government’s work on Livelihood and Value Chain
- Should be competent in use of computers/laptops.
- Adequate knowledge in internet etc.
- Good communication, interpersonal and presentation skills, with an ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent writing and oral skills in English.
- Knowledge of Odia required
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Establish, build and sustain effective relationships, partnerships and alliances, advocate effectively and communicate sensitively
Results based monitoring
- Identifies problems and propose solutions
- Demonstrates extremely strong influencing and facilitation skills.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Shares knowledge across the organization and builds a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrates/safeguards ethics and integrity
- Works as a team member
Required Skills and Experience
- A minimum of bachelor’s degree in Economics, Development, Political Science, Rural Development, Sociology, Public Administration, Management or related fields from a recognized university.
- Master’s degree from a recognized university is desirable.
- Minimum 5-year experience in project management, project appraisal, monitoring & evaluation, policy advocacy in the areas of Governance, Poverty Reduction, Value Chain development, development related projects.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in carrying out research and preparing policy briefs
- Experience in drafting reports and reviewing detailed project reports
- Knowledge and experience related to National/State planning
- Excellent Analytical & Problem-solving skills
- Prior experience with State Government of Odisha, UN agencies and other international organizations is desirable
Evaluation Method and Criteria:
The award of the contract shall be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as Responsive to the requirement. Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points (70% of the total technical points) would be considered for the Financial Evaluation;
- Technical Criteria weight - 70%;
- Financial Criteria weight – 30 %
Technical Criteria (70% of total evaluation)
- At least 5years of experience of working in social development space- 20%
- Experience working with the Central and/or State Government/International Organisations/NGOs - 20 %
- Nuanced functional research skills with attention to detail and academic vigour, with competency in data analysis vis-a-vis statistical packages (like SPSS, R, etc.) - 20%
- Excellent demonstrated documentation skills vis-a-vis MS Office Suite and prior experience in developing concept notes / reports / project plans will be essential - 10%
- Financial Criteria: (30% of the total evaluation) based on the total all-inclusive lump sum amount for professional fee for tasks specified in this announcement
Note - Please ensure that all the documents to be uploaded should be combined in a single PDF file before uploading as the system has provision of uploading only one document.