Consultant to Support the Fifth Arab Regional Platform for DRR
United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction, Cairo, Egypt
Closing Date for Applications:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Created in December 1999, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction is the designated focal point in the United Nations system for the coordination of efforts to reduce disasters and to ensure synergies among the disaster reduction activities of the United Nations and regional organizations and activities in both developed and less developed countries. Led by the United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction (SRSG), United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction has over 100 staff located in its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, and in regional offices. Specifically, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction guides, monitors, analyses and reports on progress in the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, supports regional and national implementation of the Framework and catalyzes action and increases global awareness to reduce disaster risk working with U.N. Member States and a broad range of partners and stakeholders, including civil society, the private sector, parliamentarians and the science and technology community.
- This position is located in the Regional Office for Arab States of the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR ROAS). The consultant will work directly under the supervision of the Deputy Chief of Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030 recognizes the Global and Regional Platforms for Disaster Risk Reduction as key mediums for its implementation, building on the pivotal role that they have played in supporting the implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action. Regional Platforms for Disaster Risk Reduction are multi-stakeholder forums that were developed incrementally after the Kobe Conference 2005. Regional platforms bring governments and stakeholders together to raise the political commitment around disaster risk reduction, identify common priorities and challenges to address; periodically assess progress on implementation throughout the region; strengthen partnerships, share good practices and knowledge on disaster risk-informed policies, programmes and investments, including on development and climate issues, as appropriate; and promote the mainstreaming of disaster risk reduction across all sectors.
- Following the success of the Africa-Arab Regional Platform on Disaster Risk Reduction (Tunis, October 2018), and building on the outcomes of the 6th session of the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (Geneva, 2019), the Fifth Arab Regional Platform for DRR will be hosted by the Government of the Kingdom of Morocco and co-organized by UNDRR ROAS and the League of Arab States in 2021 to build on the momentum in the political and technical dialogue towards disaster risk reduction in the region.
Under the supervision of the UNDRR Deputy Chief of Office – Regional Office for Arab States, the Consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Support the preparatory consultations and prepare an executive report summarizing the results of the consultations and processes related to sessions and events of the Fifth Arab Regional Platform for DRR.
- Support in the implementation of key preparatory activities identified as indicated by the Deputy Chief.
- Facilitate the coordination, preparation and communication with the partners in regard to the organization of plenary sessions and side events/ special sessions of the Regional Platform including the review of concept notes of sessions led by partners.
- Draft talking points, invitation letters presentations, concept notes, agendas and session reports as well as support the identification and confirmation of panelists when necessary.
- Support the development of an action plan that identifies roles and responsibilities of UNDRR ROAS team members for the Fifth Arab Regional Platform for DRR.
- Support UNDRR ROAS team in liaising with the government representatives for the High-Level Session and follow up on the participation of invitees.
- Prepare a report highlighting the outcomes of Fifth Arab Regional Platform for DRR.
- Highly developed analytical and reporting skills are required.
- Excellent communication skills are required.
- Knowledge of intergovernmental mechanisms, DRR Platforms, tools and mechanisms related to DRR is desirable.
- Knowledge of MS Office, Excel, Power Point, Adobe Reader.
- Advanced University Degree in disaster risk reduction, development, urban development, social sciences or any relevant field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the field of disaster risk reduction, climate change, and/or sustainable development is required.
- Experience in organizing events and working with civil society, private sector and governments is desirable.
- Experience in working with the United Nations system is desirable.
- Fluency in English and Arabic (both oral and written) is required.