Medair, Sanaa, Yemen
Closing Date for Applications:
Oversee all programme and support activities in-country. Representing Medair in all issues relating to the country programme, the Country Director plays a key role in donor relations and manages the country strategy and the project implementation in conjunction with senior field managers.
In response to the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Yemen, Medair will expand its activities focussed on delivering life-saving health and nutrition services to conflict affected communities. Medair projects include primary healthcare and public health interventions as well as implementing community management of acute malnutrition and WASH. Medair works in partnership with ZOA. ZOA will provide other WASH activities in the same communities.
Key Activity Areas
Leadership and Management
- Design, update and evaluate the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant senior field managers and GSO staff. Consider community needs, donor criteria and strategies and an exit strategy in order to facilitate the long-term planning and development of the projects in the country.
- Support and oversee the monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the implementation of the planned activities in accordance with the project proposals and logical frameworks and institutional donor policies and guidelines.
- Manage the overall programme and support functions, including reviewing and refining the management structures and overseeing the development and maintenance of operational procedures for individual projects.
- Analyse humanitarian needs, trends and political developments in the country of operation and the surrounding region in order to anticipate new projects and initiatives.
- Ensure all programme activities and support functions comply with applicable national and international laws and regulations, including in-country registration. Manage in country relationship with ZOA as Medair Partner in Yemen.
Donor Relations Management
- Develop and maintain contact with the in-country representatives of relevant funding partners (e.g. institutional donors or private donor organisations) in order to secure funding for the country programme.
- Oversee the drafting and presentation of all proposals, operational and financial reports related to the country programme, in collaboration with the relevant senior field managers and GSO staff.
- Develop and maintain relationships with authorities, churches, donors, media, other NGOs and embassies with the objective of raising public awareness and identifying funding opportunities and other potential partnerships.
- Ensure that the GSO Engagement Department receives appropriate material for communication and fund-raising activities. Ensure that timely programme reports are updated and submitted to GSO.
- Support the planning and construction of project budgets, in collaboration with senior field managers and GSO staff.
- Manage the spending within the programme in-line with the approved budgets. Analyse projected cash flow, decide on the timing of major procurements, oversee audits and anticipate where over or under spending may occur.
- Ensure sufficient and appropriate controls are in place to prevent fraud and that relevant staff receive the required information and training to minimise the risk of occurrence within the country programme.
- Oversee all HR related issues within the programme including job descriptions, recruitment, performance management, development and training, health and safety, team structures, capability disciplinary action, etc. in collaboration with the relevant staff and managers.
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair when interacting with team members and provide them with leadership, advice, support and appropriate communication.
- Day to day management of security and of the Security Management team (SMT).
- Coordination, information gathering and networking with other actors on security issues.
- Oversee the updating and implementation of country location security plans, guidelines and manuals.
- Ensure appropriate security procedures and awareness are maintained throughout the country programme.
- Take the lead on decision making and contingency planning during security incidents or threats.
- Promote the Medair e-library, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure country programmes are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS), WHO recommendations, etc. Ensure frequent and appropriate monitoring and evaluation of programme activities and outputs, implementing corrective actions as required.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
- This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management/Development Studies/Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC).
- 3 years post-qualification experience in a management position.
- 3 years post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of humanitarian/emergency programmes
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials. Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols. Good report and proposal writing skills. Good negotiation skills.