The Country Financial Controller (CFC) is responsible for managing all aspects of the finance function of the Concern Worldwide Burkina Faso country Programme so that we achieve our objectives in line with Concern Worldwide, donor and government policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
Concern is committed to responding to emergencies efficiently and effectively in order to help affected people meet their basic needs, alleviate suffering and maintain their dignity. To this end, when emergencies strike and the Burkina Faso Programme is to respond, all staff are required to actively participate in the response, regardless of location and contribute to the efforts aimed at achieving the humanitarian objective of the organization.
You will be responsible for:
Financial System and Controls
- Ensure that country financial management systems and records are adequate in order to identify and protect the assets and interest of the organization.
- Ensure that the systems and procedures in place enhance, as far as possible, the efficiency and effectiveness of the manner in which assets are utilized.
- Maintaining and monitoring an effective and efficient system of internal controls (i.e. ledger, cashbooks, balance sheet reconciliations, cash and bank management etc.) which comply with Concern Worldwide’s financial guidelines and minimise the risk of fraud or misappropriation.
- Ensuring financial systems of the country programme are operating in line with standard Concern procedures and they meet the monitoring and reporting requirements of the Country Management Team, Donors and National Authorities
- Ensure that the country financial operations comply with legal and statutory requirements e.g. audit and financial reporting to all relevant national authorities.
- With the support of the finance team, keep up to date with donor regulations and ensure that all controls are in place to meet donor compliance.
- Support the SD in ensuring there is a complete record of capital assets and that they are adequately safeguarded
- Organising and supporting financial assessments & evaluation of partners, in line with Concern’s standard financial procedures, monitoring and training and capacity building of local partner organisations;
- Undertaking regular field visits to assess the financial systems in place & implement improvements wherever needed
- Closely monitor all financial activities, and keep the CD/Senior Management Team advised of all situations that have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial management performance.
- Accepting, advancing and pursuing any new objectives or responsibilities that may be assigned by the Country Director including transfer of existing duties and/or re-assignment to other responsibilities should the organisation so require
- Ensure that the global accounting package (Microsoft Great Plains) is maintained in a proper manner, and utilized in an appropriate and effective manner
Financial Reporting and Donor Reporting
- Assist the CD and budget-holders in preparing budgets and revisions in line with strategic plans and organisational objectives. This involves supporting, facilitating and consolidating the financial budgets.
- Ensure proper recording of income and expenditure to comply with Concern and donor regulations.
- Producing monthly management accounts (budget vs. actual) and working with the Programme teams and department managers to understand their expenditure reports (management accounts) and budgets
- Overseeing the accurate preparation of financial reports and ensuring both organisational and donor requirements are met within agreed timeframes
- Overseeing the process of for new project/programme budgets and reviews
- Maintaining a donor financial management system in order to optimize funding and to ensure efficient and accurate reporting to donors, including donor compliance
- Ensuring timely and accurate preparation of financial reports for Concern’s Head Office (Financial Reporting Pack (i.e. FRP)
- Ensure all balance sheet items are reconciled on a timely basis, in accordance with Concern Worldwide policies & procedures
- Finalise year end accounts for the external auditors and provide any ad-hoc finance reports for Concern’s Head Office
Staff Management and Capacity Building
- Providing leadership and direction for the in-country Finance Team
- Develop a second layer of staff who can fill the gap whenever any position is vacant in the finance team
- Undertake specific training, capacity building and other relevant initiatives to ensure national staff perform their roles and responsibilities with accuracy and professionalism and also create the space for national staff to develop into credible candidates to fill vacant positions in the finance team and to provide strong cover for leave.
- Providing training and support to financial and non-financial staff regarding Concern’s financial procedures and internal controls
- Undertake financial training of budget-holders, to assist them in enforcing financial controls and making decisions based on financial reports.
- Ensuring Concern’s values and policy commitments, including accountability and equality, are reflected in the work of the Finance Team/Department;
- Ensure that Job Descriptions of field finance are up to date
- Ensure that PDRs are completed for all country finance staff at least annually
- Ensure that donor reports tie back to the general ledger from GP and donor original budgets
- Ensure staff positions are mapped to donor funding, ensuring that gaps are identified and included in future donor proposals, with decisions made on eliminating positions if there isn’t sufficient funding for the role in consultation with CMT
- Ensure all relevant donor guidelines, policies, proposals, periodic reports and other communications are readily available, categorized by grant, and documented in soft and hard copy filing
- Review of prepared donor budgets
Other financial duties
- Facilitate internal, external and donor audits and associated reviews of field systems
- Ensure that all statutory deductions & taxes in respect of national staff are complied with & to liaise with relevant authorities in this respect.
- Work with system team to established an effective monitoring system for the donations in Kind (DIK) so that all items received from donor as DIK and distribute to beneficiaries are recording properly and a reconciliation procedures need to develop to pass the audit trail.
- Assist Country Director to update the delegation of authority document in line with fundamental changes (New project/ closed project/ staff structure/emergency response/ etc.)
- Implement the finance systems related feedback provided by Regional Accountant or internal auditors.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the Country’s Strategic Plan
- Contribute to the development of the country’s strategic direction and to the overall leadership of the country programme
Any other finance-related assignments
Country Specific Tasks
- Ensure compliance with all other in-country legal and regulatory requirements relating to finance
- Concern Code of Conduct and Associated Policies
- Ensure adherence to the Concern Code of Conduct and Associated Policies
- Ensure finance staff understanding and adhere to the Concern Code of Conduct and Associated Policies
- Ensure the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) are understood by finance staff
- Contribute to and ensure that the Burkina Faso programme delivers on its accountability commitments.
- Promote an organization environment which is fair, open, protective and which fosters a learning culture.
- Ensure the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever acquired in the course of duty, relating to the practices and business of Concern Worldwide, to any other person or Organization without authority, except in normal execution of the above duties
- Ensure strict guardianship and security of financial data and documents at all times, including secure storage, accurate & complete filing and limiting access to the finance office to authorised personnel only
- Ensure strict adherence to Concern Financial Procedures and Fraud Policy and remaining within the boundaries of these policies at all times
- With the PDs, ensure adequate financial resources are available for gender mainstreaming during the proposal review process
- With the PDs, ensure that budgets allocated for gender mainstreaming are fully utilized and resources used to maximum effect
Your skills and experience will include:
- Accountancy Qualification (e.g. CPA, ACA, ACCA,CIMA)
- 3 years post qualification experience in a similar international organization
- Experience in donor budgeting and financial reporting.
- Experience in developing staff technical and management capacity
- Experience managing large and multi donor (especially ECHO, DFID, WFP, Irish Aid etc.) programme budgets
- Experience managing ACSO and government requirements
- Must be fully fluent in English and French.
- Empathy with Concern’s goals and values, particularly equality
- Strong commitment to capacity building, protection and participation including Concern’s P4.