Cropping Systems Agronomist - Scientist/Senior Scientist
CIMMYT, Mexico City, Mexico
Closing Date for Applications:
- We are seeking a dynamic, innovative, self-motivated, and service-orientated professional for the position of Cropping Systems Agronomist at the Scientist or Senior Scientist level, depending on the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate, to work within the Global Conservation Agriculture Program in Latin-America. The position is part of an ambitious strategic research program that generates knowledge to support CIMMYT’s Cropping Systems Management and Conservation Agriculture activities worldwide.
- The position will be based at CIMMYT’s Main Campus (located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico) but will interact with all CIMMYT´s experimental stations and regional offices (country and world-wide) on a regular basis.
- The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT® (www.cimmyt.org), is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
Specific duties of this position include:
- Backstopping of the development, testing, and refinement of key agricultural technical innovations, specifically those related to conservation agriculture (CA)-based systems in the innovation hubs in Mexico and other Latin American countries.
- Foment cross-learning on CA-based systems and their management between the different agro-ecological areas in Mexico and Central America as well as cross regional with other CIMMYT target areas elsewhere in the world.
- Provide agronomic technical backstopping and guidance to hub managers, technical teams and collaborators in the hubs in Latin-America, including National Agricultural Research Systems (NARS).
- Provide agronomy support to CIMMYT experimental stations (e.g. optimizing irrigation systems and developing/improving protocols for drought screening, developing screening systems for lodging).
- Collaborate with CIMMYT staff, national and international partners to build integrated farming system approaches to increase the productivity of farming systems while improving the livelihoods of smallholder farmers.
- Communicate research results to different audiences, including scientists, change agents, policy makers and farmers.
- Provide practical training to station managers,farm advisors and researchers from the NARS in developing countries.
We are seeking candidates with the following academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Ph.D. in Agronomy or a closely related field.
- Significant and demonstrated practical experience in field-based cropping systems research.
- Record of high quality scientific publications.
- Computer literacy, with proficiency in the common software packages.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Commitment to advances in farm productivity and poverty reduction in the developing world.
- Willingness to spend considerable time away from home and high standards of professional ethics.
- Ability to integrate and synthesize information from different sources.
- Strong organizational skills, analytical and creative thinking, and an ability to contribute proactively to a results-oriented, multicultural and multi-disciplinary team.
- The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 3 years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
- CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
- To apply for this position, please email cover letter and CV no later than Friday, 6 March 2015 to Human Resources, CIMMYT (Email: email@example.com / Please indicate Position Reference number: 15813 in the header of your email).
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.