Data Analysis Advisor
Closing Date for Applications:
UNICEF in Vientiane, Lao PDR is looking for an International Individual Consultancy: Data Analysis Advisor, National Information Platforms for Nutrition (NIPN), Lao PDR. The duration of this assignment is 11.5 months, starting form 1st September 2020 to 15th August 2021. The consultant will be base in Vientiane, Lao PDR with intermittent travels to provinces/districts.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
The core activities of the consultant shall include the following:
- Support the functions of the NIPN Data Analysis Unit
- Develop workplans including milestones, for implementation of NIPN workplan as well as foster linkages between the Data Analysis and Policy Analysis Units.
- Provide technical guidance for reviewing nutrition related data and supporting relevant institutions in improving nutrition monitoring at national and sub national levels.
- Guide the collection, analysis and presentation of nutrition data based on country context and international standards.
- Work closely with the Policy Analysis Unit, UNICEF Country Office and other stakeholders to identify nutrition policy questions; provide oversight for research processes including drafting research of proposals, conducting data collection, analysis and reporting.
Strengthen the capacities of the NIPN Data Analysis Unit:
- Build capacity of institutions of the Data Analysis Unit, through learning by doing, to conduct data analysis, and report of results at both national and sub national levels.
- Develop and implement a capacity development plan aimed at strengthening capacity of government institutions based on NIPN priorities by focusing on use of quality and reliable data for policy and decision making.
- Develop expertise of the Data Analysis Unit in using certified analytical tools and software for data collection, analysis and presentation.
- Provide technical advice, training and practical support to the day to day operations of the NIPN including data cleaning, data management, data storage and data archiving, based on best practices and procedures.
- Perform quantitative and qualitative data analysis as well as present the findings in suitable formats to multiple stakeholders
- The Data Analysis Advisor will lead Data Analysis Unit in the quantitative and qualitative analysis based on existing data and literature.
- Produce written documents for multiple audience and stakeholders, such as analytical papers, reports, reviews and policy briefs .
- The Data Analysis Advisor shall work closely with the NIPN Policy Analysis Unit to access relevant data to answer questions raised by policy or decision makers at various levels.
- Support the dissemination of findings and new evidence to policy makers and programme planners at various levels as per the visibility and communication plan using multiple channels such as web and media communications; publications; policy briefs; webinars etc.
- Maintain the NIPN dashboard and data repository
- Provide technical expertise to the Data Analysis Unit in maintaining an up to date web-based nutrition dashboard and data repository by ensuring timely upload of meta-data to the database.
- Where required the consultant shall update the nutrition data mapping, produce presentations, nutrition profiles for targeted audience.
- Create an effective knowledge management system for evidence-based decision making at national and sub-national levels to strengthen planning, monitoring and coordination mechanism among key social sectors in delivering results for children in integrated manner.
- Undertake other relevant tasks to support the work of Policy Analysis Unit as requested by the Head of Data Analysis Unit, UNICEF and other stakeholders related to data analysis and reporting.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will need to have:
Qualifications and Experience
- Masters or an advanced university degree in any relevant field including, but not limited to: Public Health, Nutrition, Statistics, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Mathematics and Social science.
- Knowledge and Skills
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in the management, analysis and reporting of biomedical data, ideally including data on human nutrition.
- Demonstrated experience in managing, organizing, creating, analysing and archiving data sets from multiple sources and sectors.Â
- Experience in using statistical software and relevant analytical tools for both quantitative and qualitative analysis such as STATA, SPSS, R and ARC-GIS etc.
- Proven ability to write policy briefs, research papers, articles, technical reports and documents in English.
- Demonstrated professional and interpersonal communications skills suited for donor clients, government and other stakeholders (including data visualization, report writing and presentations).
- Track record of successful delivery of high-level expert advice to governments and international organizations.
- Experience in providing technical assistance to government for sector development and capacity building.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team and have the initiative to work independently to meet deadlines.
- Previous working experience in ASEAN countries is desirable. Working experience in Lao PDR is an advantage.